Learning and cooperation in network experiments
AbstractIn this paper we study learning and cooperation in repeated prisoners' dilemmas experiments. We compare interaction neighbourhoods of different sizes and structure and we observe choices under different information conditions and estimate parameters of a learning model. We test robustness of the eastimator. We find that imitation, albeit a driving force in many models of spatial evolution, is often a negligible factor in the experiment. As a result, we find less cooperation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim in its series Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications with number 05-27.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 07 Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Financial support from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, SFB 504, at the University of Mannheim, and the Spanish DGIC Técnica PB95-0983 and PB98-1076, is gratefully acknowledged.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: D-68131 Mannheim
Phone: (49) (0) 621-292-2547
Fax: (49) (0) 621-292-5594
Web page: http://www.sfb504.uni-mannheim.de/
More information through EDIRC
Web page: http://www.sfb504.uni-mannheim.de
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- C92 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Group Behavior
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dürsch, Peter & Kolb, Albert & Oechssler, Jörg & Schipper, Burkhard, 2005.
"Rage Against the Machines - How Subjects Learn to Play Against Computers,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
05-36, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Dürsch, Peter & Kolb, Albert & Oechssler, Jörg & Schipper, Burkhard C., 2005. "Rage Against the Machines: How Subjects Learn to Play Against Computers," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 63, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Peter Dürsch & Albert Kolb & Jörg Oechssler & Burkhard C. Schipper, 2005. "Rage Against the Machines: How Subjects Learn to Play Against Computers," Working Papers 0423, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Oct 2005.
- Peter Duersch & Albert Kolb & Joerg Oechssler & Burkhard Schipper, 2005. "Rage Against the Machines: How Subjects Learn to Play Against Computers," Game Theory and Information 0510012, EconWPA.
- Peter Dürsch & Albert Kolb & Jörg Oechssler & Burkhard C. Schipper, 2005. "Rage Against the Machines: How Subjects Learn to Play Against Computers," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse31_2005, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Burkhard C. Schipper & Jorg Oechssler & Albert Kolb, 2005. "Rage Against the Machines: How Subjects Learn to Play Against Computers," Working Papers 516, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Rosenkranz, Stephanie & Weitzel, Utz, 2008.
"Network Structure and Strategic Investments: An Experimental Analysis,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6855, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rosenkranz, Stephanie & Weitzel, Utz, 2012. "Network structure and strategic investments: An experimental analysis," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 898-920.
- S. Rosenkranz & G.U. Weitzel, 2008. "Network Structure and Strategic Investments: An Experimental Analysis," Working Papers 08-24, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Siegried K. Berninghaus & Thomas Neumann & Bodo Vogt, 2011.
"Learning in Networks - An Experimental Study using Stationary Concepts,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2011-048, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Berninghaus, Siegfried K. & Neumann, Thomas & Vogt, Bodo, 2011. "Learning in networks: An experimental study using stationary concepts," Working Paper Series in Economics 15, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering.
- Kirchkamp, Oliver & Nagel, Rosemarie, 2007. "Naive learning and cooperation in network experiments," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 269-292, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carsten Schmidt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.