Self-Annuitization, Ruin Risk in Retirement and Asset Allocation: The Annuity Benchmark
AbstractThe present paper considers a retiree of a certain age with an initial endowment of investable wealth facing the following alternative investment opportunities. One possibility is to buy a single premium immediate annuity-contract. This insurance contract pays a life-long constant pension payment of a certain amount, depending e.g. on the age of the retiree, the operating cost of the insurance company and the return the company is able to realize from its investments. The alternative possibility is to invest the single premium into a portfolio of mutual funds and to periodically withdraw a fixed amount, in the present paper chosen to be equivalent to the consumption stream generated by the annuity . The particular advantage of this self annuitization strategy compared to the life annuity is its greater liquidity. However, the risk of the second opportunity is to outlive the income stream generated by this investment. The risk in this sense is specified by considering the probability of running out of money before the uncertain date of death. The determination of this personal ruin probability with respect to German mortality and capital market conditions is the objective of the following paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim in its series Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications with number 01-35.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2001
Date of revision:
Note: Financial support from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, SFB 504, at the University of Mannheim, is gratefully acknowledged.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: D-68131 Mannheim
Phone: (49) (0) 621-292-2547
Fax: (49) (0) 621-292-5594
Web page: http://www.sfb504.uni-mannheim.de/
More information through EDIRC
Web page: http://www.sfb504.uni-mannheim.de
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Russell Gerrard & Bjarne Højgaard & Elena Vigna, 2008. "Choosing the Optimal Annuitization Time Post Retirement," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 76, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Stamos, Michael Z., 2008. "Optimal consumption and portfolio choice for pooled annuity funds," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 56-68, August.
- Ivica Dus & Raimond Maurer & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2003.
"Betting on Death and Capital Markets in Retirement: A Shortfall Risk Analysis of Life Annuities versus Phased Withdrawal Plans,"
wp063, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Dus, Ivica & Maurer, Raimond H. & Mitchell, Olivia S., 2004. "Betting on death and capital markets in retirement: A shortfall risk analysis of life annuities versus phased withdrawal plans," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/01, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Thaut, Michael, 2003. "Die individuelle Vorteilhaftigkeit der privaten Rentenversicherung: Steuervorteile, Lebenserwartung und Stornorisiken," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 264, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Huang, H. & Milevsky, M. A. & Wang, J., 2004. "Ruined moments in your life: how good are the approximations?," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 421-447, June.
- Sun Wei & Triest Robert K. & Webb Anthony, 2008.
"Optimal Retirement Asset Decumulation Strategies: The Impact of Housing Wealth,"
Asia-Pacific Journal of Risk and Insurance,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-29, September.
- Wei Sun & Robert Triest & Anthony Webb, 2006. "Optimal Retirement Asset Decumulation Strategies: The Impact of Housing Wealth," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2006-22, Center for Retirement Research, revised Nov 2006.
- Wei Sun & Robert K. Triest & Anthony Webb, 2007. "Optimal retirement asset decumulation strategies: the impact of housing wealth," Public Policy Discussion Paper 07-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Gao, Jianwei, 2009. "Optimal investment strategy for annuity contracts under the constant elasticity of variance (CEV) model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 9-18, August.
- Maurer, Raimond H., 2003. "Institutional investors in Germany: Insurance companies and investment funds," CFS Working Paper Series 2003/14, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Valdez, Emiliano A. & Piggott, John & Wang, Liang, 2006. "Demand and adverse selection in a pooled annuity fund," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 251-266, October.
- Huaxiong Huang & Moshe A. Milevsky & Thomas S. Salisbury, 2012. "Valuation and hedging of the ruin-contingent life annuity (RCLA)," Papers 1205.3686, arXiv.org.
- Olivia S. Mitchell & David McCarthy, 2002.
"Annuities for an Ageing World,"
CeRP Working Papers
21, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Thomas Post & Helmut Gründl & Hato Schmeiser, 2006. "Portfolio management and retirement: what is the best arrangement for a family?," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 265-285, September.
- Horneff, Wolfram J. & Maurer, Raimond H. & Mitchell, Olivia S. & Dus, Ivica, 2008. "Following the rules: Integrating asset allocation and annuitization in retirement portfolios," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 396-408, February.
- Gerrard, Russell & Haberman, Steven & Vigna, Elena, 2004. "Optimal investment choices post-retirement in a defined contribution pension scheme," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 321-342, October.
- Wolfram Horneff & Raimond Maurer & Olivia Mitchell & Ivica Dus, 2006.
"Optimizing the Retirement Portfolio: Asset Allocation, Annuitization, and Risk Aversion,"
wp124, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Wolfram J. Horneff & Raimond Maurer & Olivia S. Mitchell & Ivica Dus, 2006. "Optimizing the Retirement Portfolio: Asset Allocation, Annuitization, and Risk Aversion," NBER Working Papers 12392, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blake, David & Cairns, Andrew J. G. & Dowd, Kevin, 2003. "Pensionmetrics 2: stochastic pension plan design during the distribution phase," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 29-47, August.
- Ivica Dus & Raimond Maurer & Olivia S. Mitchell, 2005. "Betting on Death and Capital Markets in Retirement: A Shortfall Risk Analysis of Life Annuities," NBER Working Papers 11271, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marina Di Giacinto & Bjarne Højgaard & Elena Vigna, 2010. "Optimal time of annuitization in the decumulation phase of a defined contribution pension scheme," Working Papers 2010-08, Universita' di Cassino, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche.
- Marina Di Giacinto & Salvatore Federico & Fausto Gozzi & Elena Vigna, 2012. "Income drawdown option with minimum guarantee," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 272, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carsten Schmidt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.