What about people in European Regional Science?
AbstractThe 51st ERSA Conference held in Barcelona in 2011 was one of the largest ever. Here, by examining the characteristics of the conference, this paper identifies the main trends in Regional Science at a moment in which the discipline is renewing its efforts to provide responses in a complex, globalised world in which cities and regions are acquiring greater and greater importance. This paper follows in the tradition of a long list of studies that have examined the nature of the field of Regional Science and draws on a broad array of sources of information: the delegates’ demographic details, the conference program itself, a satisfaction survey conducted among delegates, a quality survey addressed to those chairing the sessions and, finally, a bibliometric database including each author signing a paper presented at the conference. With this information we describe the ERSA delegates: their relative youthfulness; the areas in which women are taking on a more important role; the countries and regions of the world that have the most dominant profile in Regional Science today; the thematic areas that are being driven by professionals as opposed to academics; the relevance of regional economic growth and innovation as trending topics in the field; the growing frequency of co-authorship and, consequently, of scientific collaboration; and, finally, and perhaps most importantly, the continuous enhancement of the quality of the work being undertaken in the discipline. Indeed, following on from this description, the results of the regression analysis conducted show that for ERSA delegates what matters most is quality, and this must be the direction that future conferences should move toward. Ultimately, therefore, ERSA conferences are comprehensive, all-embracing occasions, representing an ideal opportunity for regional scientists to present their work to each other and to network.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP) in its series Working Papers with number XREAP2012-12.
Length: 51 pages
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision: May 2012
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Espai de Recerca en Economia, Facultat de Ciències Econòmiques i Empresarials, Universitat de Barcelona, c/ Tinent Coronel Valenzuela, 1-11, 08034 Barcelona
Web page: http://www.pcb.ub.edu/xreap
More information through EDIRC
regional science; bibliometrics; ERSA.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N00 - Economic History - - General - - - General
- R00 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General - - - General
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borghans, Lex & Romans, Margo & Sauermann, Jan, 2010.
"What Makes a Good Conference? Analysing the Preferences of Labor Economists,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4870, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Borghans, Lex & Romans, Margo & Sauermann, Jan, 2010. "What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labour economists," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 868-874, October.
- Borghans Lex & Romans Margo & Sauermann Jan, 2010. "What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labor economists," Research Memoranda 020, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Borghans Lex & Romans Margo & Sauermann Jan, 2010. "What makes a good conference? Analysing the preferences of labour economists," Research Memoranda 005, Maastricht : ROA, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market.
- Jordi Surinach Caralt & Juan Carlos Duque & Raul Ramos Lobo & Vicente Royuela Mora, 2002. "La investigacion regional en Espana: Un analisis bibliometrico," Working Papers in Economics 89, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Varela-Irimia, Xosé-Luís, 2011.
"Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990's,"
2072/169683, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Xosé-Luís Varela-Irimia, 2011. "Age effects, unobserved characteristics and hedonic price indexes: The Spanish car market in the 1990?s," Working Papers XREAP2011-11, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Aug 2011.
- Jouke van Dijk, 2012. "Regional Science matters," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(1), pages 1-2, 03.
- Marta Arespa, 2011. "Macroeconomics of extensive margins: a simple model," Working Papers XREAP2011-19, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Nov 2011.
- Raul Ramos & Vicente Royuela & Juan Carlos Duque, 2007.
"Research networks and scientific production in Economics, The recent Spanish Experience,"
IREA Working Papers
200701, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jan 2007.
- Juan Carlos Duque & Raúl Ramos & Vicente Royuela, 2011. "Research networks and scientific production in Economics: The recent Spanish Experience," REVISTA ECOS DE ECONOMÍA, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- Vicente ROYUELA & J.C. DUQUE & J. SURIÑACH, 2008. "Regional And Urban Science In France: Rankings Of Authors And Institutions And Publication Patterns During The Nineties," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 28, pages 207-232.
- Daniel Albalate & Germà Bel, 2008. "Tourism and urban transport: Holding demand pressure under supply constraints," Working Papers XREAP2008-14, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2008.
- Marta Arespa, 2011. "A New Open Economy Macroeconomic Model with Endogenous Portfolio Diversifi cation and Firms Entry," Working Papers XREAP2011-15, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Oct 2011.
- Laia Castany & Enrique López-Bazo & Rosina Moreno, 2007.
"Decomposing differences in total factor productivity across firm size,"
XREAP2007-01, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Mar 2007.
- Laia Castany & Enrique Lopez-Bazo & Rosina Moreno, 2007. "Decomposing differences in total factor productivity across firm size," IREA Working Papers 200705, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Mar 2007.
- Vicente Royuela & Juan Carlos Duque & Raul Ramos, 2005. "Regional and Urban Research in Italy during the Nineties: Evidence from Publications in Nine Top International Journals," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2005(3).
- Richard Arnott & Neil Wrigley, 2003. "Editorial: Two Years On," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 1-3, January.
- Jordi Teixidó-Figueras & Juan Antonio Duro, 2013.
"The building blocks of international ecological footprint inequality: a regression-based decomposition,"
XREAP2013-03, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Apr 2013.
- Teixidó Figueras, Jordi & Duro Moreno, Juan Antonio, 2013. "The Building Blocks of International Ecological Footprint inequality: A Regression-Base Decomposition," Working Papers 2072/211883, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Antonio Di Paolo, 2012. "(Endogenous) occupational choices and job satisfaction among recent PhD recipients: evidence from Catalonia," Working Papers XREAP2012-21, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2012.
- Ramon Alemany & Catalina Bolancé & Montserrat Guillén, 2012. "Nonparametric estimation of Value-at-Risk," Working Papers XREAP2012-19, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Oct 2012.
- Ernest Miguele & Rosina Moreno, 2012. "Do labour mobility and networks foster geographical knowledge diffusion? The case of European regions," Working Papers XREAP2012-14, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Jul 2012.
- Ana Maria Osorio & Catalina Bolancé & Nyovani Madise, 2012. "Intermediary and structural determinants of early childhood health in Colombia: exploring the role of communities," Working Papers XREAP2012-13, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Jun 2012.
- Antonio Manresa & Ferran Sancho, 2012. "Leontief versus Ghosh: two faces of the same coin," Working Papers XREAP2012-18, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Oct 2012.
- Ana Maria Osorio & Catalina Bolancé & Nyovane Madise & Katharina Rathmann, 2013. "Social Determinants of Child Health in Colombia: Can Community Education Moderate the Effect of Family Characteristics?," Working Papers XREAP2013-02, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Mar 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.