An empirical analysis of a merger between a network and low-cost airlines
AbstractWe use a difference-in-difference estimator to examine the effects of a merger involving three airlines. The novelty lies in the examination of this operation in two distinct scenarios: (1) on routes where two low-cost carriers and (2) on routes where a network and one of the low-cost airlines had previously been competing. We report a reduction in frequencies but no substantial effect on prices in the first scenario, while in the second we report an increase in prices but no substantial effect on frequencies. These results may be attributed to the differences in passenger types flying on these routes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP) in its series Working Papers with number XREAP2011-01.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision: May 2011
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Espai de Recerca en Economia, Facultat de Ciències Econòmiques i Empresarials, Universitat de Barcelona, c/ Tinent Coronel Valenzuela, 1-11, 08034 Barcelona
Web page: http://www.pcb.ub.edu/xreap
More information through EDIRC
Mergers; Airline Market; Low-Cost Carriers; Difference-in-Difference;
Other versions of this item:
- Xavier Fageda & Jordi Perdiguero, 2014. "An Empirical Analysis of a Merger Between a Network and Low-cost Airlines," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 48(1), pages 81-96, January.
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- L44 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Antitrust Policy and Public Enterprise, Nonprofit Institutions, and Professional Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Albalate & Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2010. "Is it Redistribution or Centralization? On the Determinants of Government Investment in Infrastructure," Working Papers XREAP2010-15, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2010.
- Juan Luís Jiménez & Jordi Perdiguero, 2009. "(No)competition in the Spanish retailing gasoline market: a variance filter approach," Working Papers XREAP2009-05, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised May 2009.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2013.
"Airline consolidation and the distribution of traffic between primary and secondary hubs,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 951-963.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier, 1975- & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2012. "Airline Consolidation and the Distribution of Traffic between Primary and Secondary Hubs," Working Papers 2072/211632, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Lenartowicz, M. & Mason, K. & Foster, A., 2013. "Mergers and acquisitions in the EU low cost carrier market. A Product and Organisation Architecture (POA) approach to identify potential merger partners," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 3-11.
- Joan Ramón Borrell & Juan Luís Jiménez & Carmen García, 2012. "Evaluating antitrust leniency programs," Working Papers XREAP2012-01, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Jan 2012.
- Antoni Ferri & Montserrat Guillén & Lluís Bermúdez, 2012. "Solvency Capital estimation and Risk Measures," Working Papers XREAP2012-02, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Jan 2012.
- Antoni Ferri & Lluís Bermúdez & Montserrat Guillén, 2012. "How to use the standard model with own data?," Working Papers XREAP2012-03, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Feb 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.