Corruption and Trade Protection: Evidence from Panel Data
AbstractWe complement the existing literature on corruption and trade policy by providing new estimates of the effects of corruption (and institutions) on trade protection. We control for unobserved heterogeneity among countries with properly specified fixed effects, exploiting the time dimension present in the dataset. The issue of endogeneity of corruption with respect to trade policy is addressed. Furthermore, two separate institutional measures are used in the same regression to estimate their comparative impacts on trade policy. The central finding is that corruption and lack of contract enforcement significantly increase trade protection and have negative effects on trade openness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, West Virginia University in its series Working Papers with number 06-11 Classification- JEL: F1; F13.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Corruption; Trade Policy; Contract Enforcement; Endogenous Tariffs.;
Other versions of this item:
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Suryadipta Roy, 2007. "Corruption and trade protection: evidence from panel data," Working Papers 2007-022, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Karpaty, Patrik & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2011.
"Offshoring of Services and Corruption: Do Firms Escape Corrupt Countries?,"
2011:2, Örebro University, School of Business, revised 28 May 2012.
- Karpaty, Patrik & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2012. "Offshoring of Services and Corruption: Do Firms Escape Corrupt Countries?," Ratio Working Papers 192, The Ratio Institute.
- Karpaty, Patrik & Tingvall, Patrik Gustavsson, 2011. "Offshoring of Services and Corruption: Do Firms Escape Corrupt Countries?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 243, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Söderlund, Bengt & Gustavsson Tingvall, Patrik, 2012. "Dynamic Effects of Institutions on Firm-Level Exports," Ratio Working Papers 184, The Ratio Institute.
- Yaron Zelekha & Eyal Sharabi, 2012. "Corruption, institutions and trade," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 169-192, June.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Mandal, Biswajit, 2012. "Bureaucratic reform, informal sector and welfare," MPRA Paper 36072, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tingvall, Patrik, 2011. "Dynamic Effects of Corruption on Offshoring," Ratio Working Papers 182, The Ratio Institute.
- Hasan Faruq & Ashley Taylor, 2011. "Quality of Education, Economic Performance and Institutional Environment," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 224-235, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eran Guse) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Eran Guse to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.