Foreign Aid and Export Performance: A Panel Data Analysis of Developing Countries
AbstractThe effect of foreign aid on economic activity of a country can be dampened as it can potentially have adverse effects on exports through a real exchange rate appreciation. In this study we examine the long-term relationship between export performance and foreign aid in developing countries while accounting for other factors. The estimates do not show negative effect of foreign aid on exports. The estimated coefficients are mostly positive but insignificant. The result is robust to use of two different export performance measures and different sub-samples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, West Virginia University in its series Working Papers with number 06-10 Classification-.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 6025, Morgantown, WV 26506-6025
Phone: (304) 293-7859
Fax: (304) 293-2233
Web page: http://www.be.wvu.edu/phd_economics/
More information through EDIRC
Foreign aid; export performance; developing countries.;
Other versions of this item:
- Jonathan Munemo & Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Arabinda Basistha, 2007. "Foreign aid and export performance: a panel data analysis of developing countries," Working Papers 2007-023, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2006-10-14 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2006-10-14 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Howard J. Wall, 2007.
"The determinants of aid in the post-cold war era,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 533-548.
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay & Howard J. Wall, 2006. "The determinants of aid in the post-cold war era," Working Papers 2006-021, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Subhayu Bandyopadhyay, 2006. "The Determinants of Aid in the Post-Cold War Era," Working Papers 06-14 Classification- JEL, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Michael Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil Bhavnani, 2004.
"Counting Chickens When They Hatch: The Short-term Effect of Aid on Growth,"
44, Center for Global Development.
- Michael A. Clemens & Steven Radelet & Rikhil Bhavnani, 2004. "Counting chickens when they hatch: The short-term effect of aid on growth," International Finance 0407010, EconWPA.
- Alesina, Alberto & Dollar, David, 2000.
" Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 33-63, March.
- Alberto Alesina & David Dollar, 1998. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," NBER Working Papers 6612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dollar, David & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Who Gives Foreign Aid to Whom and Why?," Scholarly Articles 4553020, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Lucia Tajoli, 1999. "The impact of tied aid on trade flows between donor and recipient countries," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 373-388.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim A, 1999. "External Aid: Help or Hindrance to Export Orientation in Africa?," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(4), pages 578-616, December.
- Boone, Peter, 1996. "Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 289-329, February.
- Jonathan Munemo, 2011. "Foreign aid and export diversification in developing countries," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 339-355.
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Dierk Herzer & Stephan Klasen & Adriana Cardozo, 2013. "Does foreign aid promote recipient exports to donor countries?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(3), pages 505-535, September.
- Philipp Hühne & Birgit Meyer & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2013. "Who Benefits from Aid for Trade? Comparing the Effects on Recipient versus Donor Exports," Kiel Working Papers 1852, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas & Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada & Cardozo, Adriana & Herzer, Dierk & Klasen, Stephan, 2011. "Does Aid translate into Bilateral Trade? Findings for Recipient Countries," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 61, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Badassa Tadasse & Bichaka Fayissa, 2009. "Determinants of the Allocation of US Aid forTrade," Working Papers 200901, Middle Tennessee State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Josh Hall).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.