Relationship between spot and futures prices in electricity markets: Pitfalls of regression analysis
AbstractThis work discusses potential pitfalls of applying linear regression models to explaining the relationship between spot and futures prices in electricity markets. We briefly introduce the theory for the analysis of the spot-futures price relationship and highlight selected issues of multiple regression models.We show the bias coming from the simultaneity problem, analyze the effect of correlated measurement errors in both dependent and independent variables and discuss the properties of coefficients estimated in the presence of a seasonal component and without it. We show that these problems appear in the work of Botterud, Kristiansen, and Ilic (2010), who analyze the relationship between spot and futures prices in the Nord Pool power exchange. We study a very similar dataset and show that the conclusions of Botterud et al. are partially invalid or misleading. In particular, the effect of the water reservoir level on the risk premium is likely to be positive, which is to be expected, but contradicts Botterud et al. results. In addition we show that the coeffcients obtained by Botterud et al. can be interpreted only when we consider the ex-post risk premium and not the ex-ante one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology in its series HSC Research Reports with number HSC/13/06.
Length: 54 pages
Date of creation: 16 Aug 2013
Date of revision:
electricity markets; risk premium; convenience yield; linear regression; seasonality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- C26 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Instrumental Variables (IV) Estimation
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rafal Weron & Michal Zator, 2013. "Revisiting the relationship between spot and futures prices in the Nord Pool electricity market," HSC Research Reports HSC/13/08, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafal Weron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.