Short-term electricity price forecasting with time series models: A review and evaluation
AbstractWe investigate the forecasting power of different time series models for electricity spot prices. The models include different specifications of linear autoregressive time series with heteroscedastic noise and/or additional fundamental variables and non-linear regime-switching TAR-type models. The models are tested on a time series of hourly system prices and loads from the California power market. Data from the period July 5, 1999 - April 2, 2000 are used for calibration and from the period April 3 - December 3, 2000 for out-of-sample testing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology in its series HSC Research Reports with number HSC/06/01.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in "Complex Electricity Markets", ed. W. Mielczarski, Chapter 10, 231-254 (2006).
Electricity price forecasting; Autoregression (AR) model; Threshold Autoregression (TAR) model; Electricity load;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- Q47 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy Forecasting
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Krzysztof Burnecki & Rafal Weron, 2006. "Visualization tools for insurance risk processes," HSC Research Reports HSC/06/06, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Weron, Rafal & Misiorek, Adam, 2007. "Heavy tails and electricity prices: Do time series models with non-Gaussian noise forecast better than their Gaussian counterparts?," MPRA Paper 2292, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2007.
- Weron, Rafal & Misiorek, Adam, 2006. "Point and interval forecasting of wholesale electricity prices: Evidence from the Nord Pool market," MPRA Paper 1363, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafal Weron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.