Periodic correlation vs. integration and cointegration (Okresowa korelacja a integracja i kointegracja)
AbstractIn this paper we present a new approach to integration and cointegration. We show that a periodically correlated time series can be divided in a natural way into subseries that are integrated. Moreover, with high probability they are cointegrated. Therefore it is enough to show periodic correlation of the original series to conclude that the subseries are integrated. In the first part of the paper we present the main features of periodically correlated processes and a method of detecting periodic correlation. We illustrate it using a data set of spot electricity prices from the Nord Pool Power Exchange. In the next section we show that the subseries (one for each day of the week) exhibit integration as well as cointegration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology in its series HSC Research Reports with number HSC/04/04.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Prace Naukowe Akademii Ekonomicznej we Wroc³awiu 1088 (2005) 83-89, in Polish.
Cointegration; Integration; PARMA model; Periodic correlation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
- Q40 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Broszkiewicz-Suwaj, E & Makagon, A & Weron, R & Wyłomańska, A, 2004.
"On detecting and modeling periodic correlation in financial data,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 336(1), pages 196-205.
- Ewa Broszkiewicz-Suwaj & Andrzej Makagon & Rafal Weron & Agnieszka Wylomanska, 2005. "On detecting and modeling periodic correlation in financial data," Econometrics 0502006, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafal Weron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.