Multi-Product Cost Functions and the Funding of Tuition in UK Universities
AbstractA quadratic multi-product cost function is estimated for UK universities prior to the abolition of the binary divide. The arguments of the function include linear and interaction terms in undergraduate tuition, postgraduate tuition and research, and in each case these are separately identified for the (broadly defined) arts and sciences. The preferred specification is used to evaluate ray economies of scale, product-specific economies of scale and economies of scope. Estimates of average incremental costs are also provided. Results from OLS and stochastic frontier methods are compared.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Lancaster in its series Working Papers with number ec6/94.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics The Management School Lancaster University Lancaster LA1 4YX UK
Phone: +44 (0) 1524 594228
Fax: +44 (0) 1524 594244
Web page: http://www.lums.lancs.ac.uk/econ/wkpap.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Geraint Johnes, 1996. "Multi-product cost functions and the funding of tuition in UK universities," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(9), pages 557-561.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2007:i:15:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1043 is not listed on IDEAS
- Geraint Johnes & Manuel Salas-Velasco, 2007. "The Determinants Of Costs And Efficiencies Where Producers Are Heterogeneous: The Case Of Spanish Universities," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(15), pages 1-9.
- G Johnes & Jill Johnes, 2005.
"Higher education institutions' costs and efficiency: taking the decomposition a further step,"
574007, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Johnes, Geraint & Johnes, Jill, 2009. "Higher education institutions' costs and efficiency: Taking the decomposition a further step," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 107-113, February.
- repec:lan:wpaper:4813 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1121 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:4381 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:1044 is not listed on IDEAS
- E Thanassoulis & G Johnes & Jill Johnes, 2005. "An analysis of costs in institutions of higher education in England," Working Papers 566942, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Abdullahi Abdulkadri & Michael Langemeier & Allen Featherstone, 2006. "Estimating economies of scope and scale under price risk and risk aversion," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 191-201.
- G. Johnes, 1997. "Costs in UK Higher Education: A System-Wide Perspective," CERT Discussion Papers 9707, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1058 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:4509 is not listed on IDEAS
- Geraint Johnes, 2007.
"Funding Formulae where Costs Legitimately Differ: The Case of Higher Education in England,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 385-404.
- G Johnes, 2005. "Funding formulae where costs legitimately differ: the case of higher education in England," Working Papers 574022, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Malcolm Abbott & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2004.
"Research output of Australian universities,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 251-265.
- Colin Glass, J. & McCallion, Gillian & McKillop, Donal G. & Rasaratnam, Syamarlah & Stringer, Karl S., 2006. "Implications of variant efficiency measures for policy evaluations in UK higher education," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 119-142, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.