Making Friends to Influence Others: Entry and Contribution Decisions that Affect Social Capital in an Association
AbstractWe examine factors affecting entry and contribution to an association that provides different goods using social capital formed by heterogeneous firms in a political economy environment. We model and solve a game that explains investments to form social capital within associations and determine the effect on the intensive and extensive marginal contributions to the association related to the government’s susceptibility to influence. Association products such as capital goods for members or lobbying the government to influence regulation affect membership and contribution decisions. Government influenceability also affects the decision to contribute to social capital, but it varies with agent productivity and association output. Often, an increase in government influenceability increases social capital in associations composed of high productivity agents because they prefer to influence policy while low productivity agents focus on production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University in its series Working Papers with number 2013-01.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
association; corruption; social capital;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- D73 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Bureaucracy; Administrative Processes in Public Organizations; Corruption
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-09-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2013-09-06 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-CWA-2013-09-06 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-MIC-2013-09-06 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-POL-2013-09-06 (Positive Political Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2013-09-06 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Fidrmuc & Klarita Gërxhani, 2007.
"Mind the Gap! Social Capital, East and West,"
CEDI Discussion Paper Series
07-10, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Kerwin Charles & Patrick Kline, 2002.
"Relational Costs and the Production of Social Capital: Evidence from Carpooling,"
NBER Working Papers
9041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kerwin Kofi Charles & Patrick Kline, 2006. "Relational Costs and the Production of Social Capital: Evidence from Carpooling," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(511), pages 581-604, 04.
- Thöni, Christian & Tyran, Jean-Robert & Wengström, Erik, 2012.
"Microfoundations of social capital,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(7-8), pages 635-643.
- Christian Thöni & Jean-Robert Tyran & Erik Wengström, 2009. "Microfoundations of Social Capital," Discussion Papers 09-24, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics, revised Sep 2010.
- Christian Thöni & Jean-Robert Tyran & Erik Wengström, 2010. "Microfoundations of Social Capital," NRN working papers 2010-19, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Durlauf, 2002.
"On the Empirics of Social Capital,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 459-479, November.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2006.
"Social Capital in the creation of Human Capital and Economic Growth: A Productive Consumption Approach,"
50586, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 28 May 2007.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2008. "Social capital in the creation of human capital and economic growth: A productive consumption approach," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 2020-2033, October.
- Sheilagh Ogilvie, 2004.
"Guilds, efficiency, and social capital: evidence from German proto-industry,"
Economic History Review,
Economic History Society, vol. 57(2), pages 286-333, 05.
- Sheilagh Ogilvie, 2002. "Guilds, Efficiency, and Social Capital: Evidence from German Proto-Industry," CESifo Working Paper Series 820, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jonathan Temple & Paul A. Johnson, 1998. "Social Capability And Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(3), pages 965-990, August.
- Bandiera, Oriana & Rasul, Imran, 2002.
"Social Networks and Technology Adoption in Northern Mozambique,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3341, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oriana Bandiera & Imran Rasul, 2006. "Social Networks and Technology Adoption in Northern Mozambique," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(514), pages 869-902, October.
- Oriana Bandiera & Imran Rasul, 2002. "Social Networks and Technology Adoption in Northern Mozambique," STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers 35, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Pramila Krishnan & Emanuela Sciubba, 2009.
"Links and Architecture in Village Networks,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 917-949, 04.
- Pramila Krishnan & Emanuela Sciubba, 2006. "Links and Architecture in Village Networks," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0614, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Krishnan, Pramila & Sciubba, Emanuela, 2008. "Links and Architecture in Village Networks," CEPR Discussion Papers 6787, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bartolini, Stefano & Bonatti, Luigi, 2007. "Endogenous growth, decline in social capital and expansion of market activities," MPRA Paper 3341, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Annen, Kurt, 2003. "Social capital, inclusive networks, and economic performance," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 449-463, April.
- Asimina Christoforou, 2011. "Social Capital Across European Countries: Individual and Aggregate Determinants of Group Membership," American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(3), pages 699-728, 07.
- Bartolini, Stefano & Bonatti, Luigi, 2008. "Endogenous growth, decline in social capital and expansion of market activities," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(3-4), pages 917-926, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Danielle Engelhardt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.