Agritourism and Direct Agricultural Marketing in Washington State: An Industry Profile
AbstractThe objective of this report is to take stock of the activities, motivations, impacts and challenges faced by the farms in Washington as they relate to agritourism and direct marketing. We characterize the agritourism entrepreneurship and direct marketing activities in different counties of the State through a direct survey of industry respondents. Also, we determine the extent to which Washington’s agritourism and direct marketing industry attracts local and foreign tourists. We find that the direct marketing industry in the State is well established but the agritourism activities are still developing. Most farms that conduct agritourism are small farms (with less than $250,000 of total sales), whereas direct marketing farms vary in size and include some larger farms in terms of sales. The primary reasons for operating are to earn additional income and educate the local populace regarding agricultural and local activities which illustrates economic and altruistic motives for farmers. Respondents feel that the main obstacles to the industry are State laws and regulations and concerns about liability. Farm operators in the industry rely on social networks to enhance production capacity as well as help increase demand for their product or service. Development of social networks may help overcome current and future obstacles of farms leading to overall growth of the industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University in its series Working Papers with number 2010-10.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
agritourism; direct agricultural marketing; Washington State;
Other versions of this item:
- Gregmar Galinato & Suzette Galinato & Hayley Chouinard & Mykel Taylor & Phil Wandschneider, 2010. "Agritourism and Direct Agricultural Marketing in Washington State: An Industry Profile," Working Papers 2010-10, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-07-02 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-MKT-2011-07-02 (Marketing)
- NEP-TUR-2011-07-02 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Danielle Engelhardt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.