The relationshiop between Shareholding Concentration and Shareholder Voting Power in British Companies : A study of the Application of Power Indices for Simple Games
AbstractThe relationship between shareholding concentration and shareholder voting power and the question of corporate control has long been recognised as being of central importance in the economies of the firm and has given rise to a large literature. Despite this, however, and the fact that quite sharp differences in perspective exist in this literature, relatively little work has been done on actually attempting to measure, in a theoretically rigorous way, the quantitative significance of empirically observed differences in concentration on the distribution of power.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Warwick, Department of Economics in its series The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) with number 267.
Length: 47 pages
Date of creation: 1985
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Dennis Leech, 1988. "The Relationship Between Shareholding Concentration and Shareholder Voting Power in British Companies: A Study of the Application of Power Indices for Simple Games," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(4), pages 509-527, April.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Muravyev, Alexander, 2004.
"The puzzle of dual class stock in Russia: Explaining the price differential between common and preferred shares,"
27726, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Muravyev Alexander, 2004. "The Puzzle of Dual Class Stock in Russia. Explaining the Price Differential between Common and Preferred Shares," EERC Working Paper Series 04-07e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Dennis Leech, 2001. "Shareholder Voting Power and Corporate Governance: A Study of Large British Companies," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 27, pages 33-54.
- Dennis Leech & Miguel ManjÃ³n, 2002. "Corporate Governance in Spain (with an Application of the Power Indices Approach)," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 157-173, March.
- Leech, Dennis, 2002. "Computation of Power Indices," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 644, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Gary Gorton & Frank Schmid, 2002.
"Class struggle inside the firm: a study of German codetermination,"
2000-025, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Gary Gorton & Frank Schmid, 2000. "Class Struggle Inside the Firm: A Study of German Codetermination," NBER Working Papers 7945, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Gorton & Frank Schmid, 2000. "Class Struggle Inside the Firm: A Study of German Codetermination," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-36, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Guemmegne, Juliette & Pongou, Roland, 2013. "A Policy-Based Rationalization of Collective Rules: Dimensionality, Specialized Houses, and Decentralized Authority," MPRA Paper 46019, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leech, D., 2000. "Computing Classical Power Indices For Large Finite Voting Games," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 579, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Edwards, Jeremy S.S. & Weichenrieder, Alfons J., 2009.
"Control rights, pyramids, and the measurement of ownership concentration,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 489-508, October.
- Edwards, Jeremy S S & Weichenrieder, Alfons J, 2009. "Control Rights, Pyramids, and the Measurement of Ownership Concentration," MPRA Paper 13830, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jeremy Edwards & Alfons Weichenrieder, 2004. "How Weak is the Weakest-Link Principle?On the Measurement of Firm Owners’Control Rights," CESifo Working Paper Series 1255, CESifo Group Munich.
- Nicodano, Giovanna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2004. "Private benefits, block transaction premiums and ownership structure," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 227-244.
- André Casajus & Helfried Labrenz & Tobias Hiller, 2009. "Majority shareholder protection by variable qualified majority rules," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 9-18, August.
- Crama, Yves & Leruth, Luc, 2007. "Control and voting power in corporate networks: Concepts and computational aspects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(3), pages 879-893, May.
- Berezinets, Irina & Ilina, Yulia & Muravyev, Alexander, 2011. "CEO and Board Characteristics as Determinants of Private Benefits of Control: Evidence from the Russian Stock Exchange," IZA Discussion Papers 6256, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Crespi, R. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2000. "United we stand: Corporate Monitoring by Shareholder Coalitions in the UK," Discussion Paper 2000-18, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Leech, D., 2000.
"An Empirical Comparison of the Performance of Classical Power Indices,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
563, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dennis Leech, 2002. "An Empirical Comparison of the Performance of Classical Power Indices," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 50(1), pages 1-22, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Neal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.