Cohort analysis of alcohol consumption: a double hurdle approach
AbstractThis paper describes the life-cycle alcohol consumption patterns of Italian households by decomposing gender, cohort, age and time effects and estimates the importance of demographic characteristics using a double hurdle model. The application is based on ISTAT households expenditure survey for the period 1997-2002 organized in cohorts. As expected, cohort and age effects are significant in both participation and consumption. The significance of gender and geographic differences suggests interesting policy implications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY in its series CHILD Working Papers with number wp09_05.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: May 2005
Date of revision:
Alcohol consumption; double-hurdle models; birth cohorts; ageing; gender;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- J10 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David Aristei & Luca Pieroni, 2007.
"A Double-Hurdle Approach to Modelling Tobacco Consumption in Italy,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
29/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- David Aristei & Luca Pieroni, 2008. "A double-hurdle approach to modelling tobacco consumption in Italy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(19), pages 2463-2476.
- Drescher, Larissa S. & Roosen, Jutta, 2010. "An Analysis Of The Retirement-Consumption Puzzle For Food-At-Home And Away-From-Home Expenditures In Germany," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116441, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Landorno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.