Benchmarking study about R&D and Innovation at the Spanish
AbstractThe aim of this paper is the realization of a Benchmark analysis about the relative position of the Valencian Innovation System. This comparison has been threefold comparing the Spanish, Mediterranean and European regions. In order to undertake this analysis, on the one hand, for the Spanish regions, their evolution from 1992 to 2001 is analyzed according to the Instituto Nacional de Estadística (INE) data. On the other hand, when comparing the different Mediterranean and European Regions, the analysis done is related to the indicators offered by the European Innovation Scoreboard for 2002 and 2003. These analyses illustrate the Valencian Innovation System’s weaknesses. The Comunidad Valenciana shows relative strengths in those fields related to public funding, such as High Education, Lifelong learning and Public R&D Expenditure. In contrast, the weaknesses are strongly related to private activities, as Employment in High Technology sectors and Business R&D expenditure. The low employment rates remark the lacking industrial structure at the Comunidad Valenciana, what arises in great difficulties to absorb the new high educated people. This situation shows a great structural imbalance at the Valencian Innovation System, clearly compromising its future development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Urban/Regional with number 0507005.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 15 Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - doc; pages: 20
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Regional Systems of Innovation; Benchmarking; European Innovation Scoreboard;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-07-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-07-18 (European Economics)
- NEP-INO-2005-07-18 (Innovation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.