Channels of Synthesis Forty Years On: Integrated Analysis of Spatial Economic Systems
AbstractIsard’s vision of integrated modeling that was laid out in the 1960s book Methods of Regional Science provided a road map for the development of more sophisticated analysis of spatial economic systems. Some forty years later, we look back at this vision and trace developments in a sample of three areas – demographic-econometric integrated modeling, spatial interaction modeling, and environmental-economic modeling. Attention will be focused on methodological advances and their motivation by new developments in theory as well as innovations in the applications of these models to address new policy challenges. Underlying the discussion will be an evaluation of the way in which spatial issues have been addressed, ranging from concerns with regionalization to issues of spillovers and spatial correlation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Urban/Regional with number 0409001.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 06 Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 25. Journal of Geographical Systems 6,1(2004): 7-25
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Spatial economic system; Integrated analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Geoffrey J.D. Hewings & Suahasil Nazara & Chokri Dridi, 2004. "Channels of synthesis forty years on: integrated analysis of spatial economic systems," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 7-25, 04.
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O21 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Planning Models; Planning Policy
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-GEO-2004-09-12 (Economic Geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jesús López-Rodríguez & Cosmin Bolea-Gabriel, 2012. "Urban Geographical Economics and per Capita GDP Growth in Romania," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(3), pages 109-134.
- World Bank, 2008. "Brazil : Evaluating the Macroeconomic and Distributional Impacts of Lowering Transportation Costs," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8083, The World Bank.
- Gabriel Garber & Eduardo A. Haddad, 2012. "Target Fitting and Robustness Analysis in CGE Models," Working Papers, Department of Economics 2012_14, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
- José-María Montero & Coro Chasco & Beatriz Larraz, 2010. "Building an environmental quality index for a big city: a spatial interpolation approach combined with a distance indicator," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(4), pages 435-459, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.