Uncertainty in Integrated Regional Models
AbstractThis paper examines the nature of uncertainty in integrated econometric+input-output (ECIO) regional models. We focus on three sources of uncertainty: [a] econometric model parameter uncertainty; [b] econometric disturbance term uncertainty; and [c] input-output coefficient uncertainty. Through a series of Monte Carlo simulations we analyze the relative importance of each component as well as the question of how their interaction may propagate through the integrated model to affect the distributions of the endogenous variables. Our results suggest that there is no simple answer to the question of which source of uncertainty is most important in an integrated model. Instead, that answer is conditioned upon the focus of the analysis and whether the industry specific or macro level variables are of central concerns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Urban/Regional with number 0401001.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 16 Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on Debian; pages: 34
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
regional econometric model; input-output; integrated; uncertainty;
Other versions of this item:
- R - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerking, S.D., 1976. "Input-output as a simple econometric model," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4742764, Tilburg University.
- Deller, Steven C. & Shields, Martin, 1998. "Economic Impact Modeling as a Tool for Community Economic Development," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 28(2).
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1991.
"Full Information Estimation and Stochastic Simulation of Models with Rational Expectations,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0078, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fair, Ray C & Taylor, John B, 1990. "Full Information Estimation and Stochastic Simulation of Models with Rational Expectations," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(4), pages 381-92, Oct.-Dec..
- Ray C. Fair & John B. Taylor, 1989. "Full Information Estimation and Stochastic Simulation of Models with Rational Expectations," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 921, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Siddhartha Chib & Edward Greenberg, 1994.
"Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics,"
9408001, EconWPA, revised 24 Oct 1994.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1996. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 409-431, August.
- LeSage, James P. & Magura, Michael, 1991. "Using interindustry input-output relations as a Bayesian prior in employment forecasting models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 231-238, August.
- West, Guy R, 1986. "A Stochastic Analysis of an Input-Output Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(2), pages 363-74, March.
- Scott, James K. & Johnson, Thomas G., 1998. "The Community Policy Analysis Network: A National Infrastructure for Community Policy Decision Support," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 28(2).
- Gerking, Shelby D, 1976. "Input-Output as a Simple Econometric Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 58(3), pages 274-82, August.
- Sporri, C. & Borsuk, M. & Peters, I. & Reichert, P., 2007. "The economic impacts of river rehabilitation: A regional Input-Output analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 341-351, April.
- Malcolm Beynon & Max Munday, 2008. "Stochastic key sector analysis: an application to a regional input–output framework," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 863-877, December.
- Beynon, Malcolm J. & Munday, Max, 2008. "Considering the effects of imprecision and uncertainty in ecological footprint estimation: An approach in a fuzzy environment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 373-383, October.
- Marco Percoco & Geoffrey Hewings & Lanfranco Senn, 2006. "Structural change decomposition through a global sensitivity analysis of input-output models," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 115-131.
- Arbex, Marcelo & Perobelli, Fernando S., 2010. "Solow meets Leontief: Economic growth and energy consumption," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 43-53, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.