Creating markets for ecosystem services
AbstractEcosystem services are the functions performed by ecosystems that lead to desirable environmental outcomes, such as air and water purification, drought and flood mitigation, and climate stabilisation. Markets rarely exist for them. This study examines how newly defined property rights have been used to create markets in Australia and the United States. The Commission found that creating these markets - such as tradeable credits for carbon sequestration - can be an effective way for governments to achieve their environmental goals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Urban/Regional with number 0207001.
Length: 80 pages
Date of creation: 08 Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Word 97; prepared on IBM PC; to print on HP; pages: 80; figures: nil
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
regulation - ecosystems - environment - biodiversity - salinity - climate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2002-10-27 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2002-08-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2002-08-19 (Energy Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ribaudo, Marc & Greene, Catherine & Hansen, LeRoy & Hellerstein, Daniel, 2010. "Ecosystem services from agriculture: Steps for expanding markets," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(11), pages 2085-2092, September.
- Greenhalgh, Suzie, 2008. "Bundled Ecosystem Markets – Are They The Future?," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6166, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Coggan, Anthea & Whitten, Stuart M. & Bennett, Jeff, 2010. "Influences of transaction costs in environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(9), pages 1777-1784, July.
- Valle, Haydn & Capon, Timothy & Harris, Michael & Reeson, Andrew, 2012. "Coordination and Strategic Behaviour in Landscape Auctions," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124466, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Sell, Joachim & Koellner, Thomas & Weber, Olaf & Pedroni, Lucio & Scholz, Roland W., 2006. "Decision criteria of European and Latin American market actors for tropical forestry projects providing environmental services," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-36, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.