Review of National Competition Policy Reforms
AbstractIn 2004, the Australian Government asked the Productivity Commission to look at the impact on the economy and the community of NCP and related reforms and for areas which offer opportunities for significant gains. The Commission found that the benefits of NCP have greatly outweighed the costs. The benefits have flowed to both low and high income earners, and to country as well as city Australia. The Commission outlines how Australia’s ageing population and other international and domestic pressures necessitate further actions to raise productivity and sustainability. The Commission proposes a wide-ranging agenda for nationally coordinated reform, particularly in the areas of energy and water, freight transport, greenhouse gas abatement and consumer protection. An overarching review of the health system and further reform in vocational education and training are also needed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 0506004.
Length: 503 pages
Date of creation: 06 Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 503
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
National Competition Policy; NCP; Reforms; Infrastructure; Health; Transport; Education;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H - Public Economics
- I - Health, Education, and Welfare
- J - Labor and Demographic Economics
- P - Economic Systems
- Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
- R - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Edwards, Geoff W., 2012. "The Desalination Plant, The North-South Pipeline And The Welfare Of Melburnians," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124292, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Paul Gretton, 2008. "Assessing the Importance of National Economic Reform Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Australian Productivity Commission Experience," EABER Working Papers 21792, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Craig Beaumont & Li Cui, 2007. "Conquering Fear of Floating," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 07/2, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.