Carbon Dynamics and Land-use Choices: Building a Regional-scale Multidisciplinary Model
AbstractPolicy enabling tropical forests to approach their potential contribution to global-climate-change mitigation requires forecasts of land use and carbon storage on a large scale over long periods. In this paper, we present an integrated modeling methodology that addresses these needs. We model the dynamics of the human land-use system and of C pools contained in each ecosystem, as well as their interactions. The model is national scale, and is currently applied in a preliminary way to Costa Rica using data spanning a period of over fifty years. It combines an ecological process model, parameterized using field and other data, with an economic model, estimated using historical data to ensure a close link to actual behavior. These two models are linked so that ecological conditions affect land-use choices and vice versa. The integrated model predicts land use and its consequences for C storage for policy scenarios. These predictions can be used to create baselines, reward sequestration, and estimate the value in both environmental and economic terms of including C sequestration in tropical forests as part of the efforts to mitigate global climate change. The model can also be used to assess the benefits from costly activities to increase accuracy and thus reduce errors and their societal costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 0309005.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 03 Sep 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - PDF; prepared on PC; to print on HP; pages: 30 ; figures: included/request from author/draw your own
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
carbon; sequestration; climate change; land use; modelling;
Other versions of this item:
- Suzi Kerr & Shuguang Liu & Alexander S. P. Pfaff & R. Flint Hughes, 2003. "Carbon Dynamics and Land-Use Choices: Building a Regional-Scale Multidisciplinary Model," Working Papers 03_06, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Q23 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Forestry
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
- L71 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Mining, Extraction, and Refining: Hydrocarbon Fuels
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stavins, Robert N & Jaffe, Adam B, 1990. "Unintended Impacts of Public Investments on Private Decisions: The Depletion of Forested Wetlands," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 337-52, June.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- Douglas J. Miller, 1999. "An Econometric Analysis of the Costs of Sequestering Carbon in Forests," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 812-824.
- Kerr, Suzi & Newell, Richard, 2001.
"Policy-Induced Technology Adoption: Evidence from the U.S. Lead Phasedown,"
dp-01-14, Resources For the Future.
- Suzi Kerr & Richard G. Newell, 2003. "Policy-Induced Technology Adoption: Evidence from the U.S. Lead Phasedown," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 317-343, 09.
- Pfaff, Alexander S. P., 1999. "What Drives Deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon?: Evidence from Satellite and Socioeconomic Data," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 26-43, January.
- Robert N. Stavins, 1999. "The Costs of Carbon Sequestration: A Revealed-Preference Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 994-1009, September.
- Lakshminarayan, P. G. & Gassman, Philip W. & Bouzaher, Aziz & Izaurralde, R. Cesar, 1996. "Metamodeling Approach to Evaluate Agricultural Policy Impact on Soil Degradation in Western Canada (A)," Staff General Research Papers 1091, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Masahisa Fujita & Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "The Spatial Economy: Cities, Regions, and International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262561476, December.
- Brent Sohngen & Robert Mendelsohn & Roger Sedjo, 1999. "Forest Management, Conservation, and Global Timber Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 1-13.
- Edwin van der Werf & Sonja Peterson, 2007.
"Modeling linkages between climate policy and land use: An Overview,"
Kiel Working Papers
1323, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Edwin van der Werf & Sonja Peterson, 2009. "Modeling linkages between climate policy and land use: an overview," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(5), pages 507-517, 09.
- van der Werf, Edwin & Peterson, Sonja, 2009. "Modeling linkages between climate policy and land use: An overview," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 32535, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Edwin van der Werf & Sonja Peterson, 2007. "Modeling Linkages Between Climate Policy and Land Use: An Overview," Working Papers 2007.56, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Grimes, Arthur, 2005.
"Regional and industry cycles in Australasia: Implications for a common currency,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 380-397, June.
- Arthur Grimes, 2005. "Regional and Industry Cycles in Australasia: Implications for a Common Currency," Working Papers 05_04, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Arthur Grimes, 2005. "Regional and Industry Cycles in Australasia: Implications for a Common Currency," Macroeconomics 0509020, EconWPA.
- Holloway, Garth J. & Lacombe, Donald J. & LeSage, James P., 2006.
"Spatial Econometric Issues for Bio-Economic and Land-Use Modeling,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25525, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Garth Holloway & Donald Lacombe & James P. LeSage, 2007. "Spatial Econometric Issues for Bio-Economic and Land-Use Modelling," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 549-588, 09.
- Michelle Poland & David C Maré, 2005.
"Defining Geographic Communities,"
- Arthur Grimes, 2005. "Intra & Inter-Regional Industry Shocks: A New Metric with an Application to Australasian Currency Union," Macroeconomics 0509019, EconWPA.
- Suzi Kerr, 2004.
"Indigenous Forests and Forest Sink Policy in New Zealand,"
- Suzi Kerr, 2003. "Indigenous Forests and Forest Sink Policy in New Zealand," Working Papers 03_15, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Upadhyay, T.P. & Solberg, Birger & Sankhayan, Prem L., 2006. "Use of models to analyse land-use changes, forest/soil degradation and carbon sequestration with special reference to Himalayan region: A review and analysis," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 349-371, December.
- Lehtonen, Heikki & Peltola, Jukka & Sinkkonen, Marko, 2006. "Co-effects of climate policy and agricultural policy on regional agricultural viability in Finland," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 88(2-3), pages 472-493, June.
- Thakur Upadhyay & Birger Solberg & Prem Sankhayan & Chander Shahi, 2013. "Land-use changes, forest/soil conditions and carbon sequestration dynamics: A bio-economic model at watershed level in Nepal," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 135-170, July.
- David C. Maré, 2005.
"Indirect Effects of Active Labour Market Policies,"
05_01, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Suzi Kerr & Joanna Hendy & Shuguang Liu & Alexander S.P. Pfaff, 2004.
"Tropical Forest Protection, Uncertainty, and the Environmental Integrity of Carbon Mitigation Policies,"
- Suzi Kerr & Joanna Hendy & Shuguang Liu & Alexander S. P. Pfaff, 2004. "Tropical Forest Protection, Uncertainty, and the Environmental Integrity of Carbon Mitigation Policies," Working Papers 04_03, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Suzi Kerr & Leslie Lipper & Alexander S.P. Pfaff & Romina Cavatassi & Benjamin Davis & Joanna Hendy & Arturo Sanchez, 2004. "Will Buying Tropical Forest Carbon Benefit The Poor? Evidence from Costa Rica," Working Papers 04-20, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.