The Opportunity Cost of Duality
AbstractA dual representation of a technology, e.g., a cost function, may not contain all of the technological information, but it will contain all of the information about input vectors that would be chosen by a cost-minimizing firm. At least this much is clear for deterministic technologies. The main question addressed in this paper is whether the same can be said about stochastic technologies and their dual representations. Despite some pessimism expressed in the stochastic frontier literature on this question, we argue that there is no extra cost imposed in the stochastic case. Thus, the conclusion of this paper is: JUST DUAL IT!
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Microeconomics with number 9506001.
Length: 12 pages
Date of creation: 14 Jun 1995
Date of revision:
Note: 12 pages; written with Scientific Workplace (v. 2). Posted file is the binary dvi file (35,048 bytes). No figures.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luis Orea Sánchez & Rafael Álvarez Cuesta, 1998. "- Firm-Specific Temporal Variation In Technical Efficency Results Of: A Stochastic Output Distance Function," Working Papers. Serie EC 1998-27, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.