An Up-to-Date and Improved BVAR Model of the Canadian Economy
AbstractIn this paper, we estimate a fully optimized BVAR model of the Canadian economy for the period 1971-87. The model is well-adapted to the features of a small open economy. We show how it can be used as an input in the monetary policy process either as a forecasting instrument or an analytical tool. In general, forecast results over the 1988-92 period compare well with those of univariate autoregressive models. The results from the variance decomposition exercise show a rather weak influence of monetary aggregates on macroeconomic variables, at least in a short-run context. However, foreign variables, particularly commodity prices, play an important role.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 9503002.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: 08 Mar 1995
Date of revision:
Note: 50 printed pages, compressed PostScript file. Other recent Bank of Canada working papers are listed on the last page of this report. Bank of Canada WP94-4
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Other versions of this item:
- Daniel Racette & Jacques Raynauld & Christian Sigouin, . "An Up-to-Date and Improved BVAR Model of the Canadian Economy," Working Papers 94-4, Bank of Canada.
- E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amano, R. A. & van Norden, S., 1998.
"Oil prices and the rise and fall of the US real exchange rate,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 299-316, April.
- Robert A. Amano & Simon van Norden, 1995. "Oil Prices and the Rise and Fall of the U.S. Real Exchange Rate," International Finance 9502001, EconWPA.
- Simon van Norden & Huntley Schaller & ), 1995.
"Speculative Behaviour, Regime-Switching, and Stock Market Crashes,"
- Van Norden, S. & Schaller, H., 1996. "Speculative Behaviour, Regime-Switching and Stock Market Crashes," Working Papers 96-13, Bank of Canada.
- Lafrance, Robert & St-Amant, Pierre, 2000. "Les zones monétaires optimales," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 76(4), pages 577-612, dÃ©cembre.
- Wirjanto, T.S. & Amano, R.A., 1993. "The Dynamic Demand for Money in Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom," Working Papers 9314, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics.
- P Clark & D Laxton, 1997. "Phillips Curves," CEP Discussion Papers dp0344, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- J T Kneeshaw, 1995. "A survey of non-financial sector balance sheets in industialised countries: implications for the monetary policy transmission mechanism," BIS Working Papers 25, Bank for International Settlements.
- Patricio Jaramillo, 2008.
"Estimación de Var Bayesianos para la Economía Chilena,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
508, Central Bank of Chile.
- Patricio Jaramillo, 2009. "Estimación de Var Bayesianos para la Economía Chilena," Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines, vol. 24(1), pages 101-126, Junio.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.