Impact du fardeau virtuel de la dette sur le taux de change réel d'équilibre des pays en développement
AbstractThe main objective of this paper is to study the relationship between external public debt and equilibrium real exchange rate in developing countries. Using a extension of Obstfeld & Rogoff (1995) model we show that debt overhang tend to appreciate real exchange rate in the long run (Krugman (1979), Sargent & Wallace (1989)). The relationship between debt overhang and real exchange rate is obtaining with endogeneity of economic growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0501014.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 09 Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 27
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Public debt; debt overhang; real exchange rate; new open macro economics ; growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovanni Ganelli, 2002.
"The New Open Economy Macroeconomics of Government Debt,"
Trinity Economics Papers
200214, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Ganelli, Giovanni, 2005. "The new open economy macroeconomics of government debt," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 167-184, January.
- Ganelli, Giovanni, 2003. "The New Open Economy Macroeconomics of Government Debt," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 83, Royal Economic Society.
- Joannes Mongardini, 1998. "Estimating Egypt's Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate," IMF Working Papers 98/5, International Monetary Fund.
- Catherine Pattillo & Hélène Poirson & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2011.
"External Debt and Growth,"
Review of Economics and Institutions,
Università di Perugia, vol. 2(3).
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomene Varoudakis, 2000.
"Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7342, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sekkat, Khalid & Varoudakis, Aristomene, 2000. "Exchange rate management and manufactured exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 237-253, February.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomène Varoudakis, 1998. "Exchange-Rate Management and Manufactured Exports in Sub-Saharan Africa," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 134, OECD Publishing.
- Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Grennes, Thomas J., 1993. "The real exchange rate and macroeconomic performance in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-174, October.
- Daniel Cohen & Jeffrey Sachs, 1985.
"Growth and External Debt Under Risk of Debt Repudiation,"
NBER Working Papers
1703, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Cohen & Jeffrey Sachs, 1991. "Growth and External Debt Under Risk of Debt Repudiation," NBER Chapters, in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 437-472 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cohen, Daniel & Sachs, Jeffrey, 1986. "Growth and external debt under risk of debt repudiation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 529-560, June.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1995. "Large external debt and (slow) domestic growth a theoretical analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(5-7), pages 1141-1163.
- Virginie Coudert, 1999. "Comment definir un taux de change d'equilibre pour les pays emergents ?," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 77, pages 45-66.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.