A Stock-Flow Consistent General Framework for Minskyan Analysis of Closed Economics
AbstractThis paper reviews the general tenets of 'stock-flow consistent' and the 'formal Minskyan' literatures and argues that the advantages and weaknesses of the latter become clearer when analyzed with the tools of the former. It also analyzes a small but representative and influential sample of seminal 'formal Minskyan' models, particularly the Taylor- O'Connel model, in light of a fully consistent 'Minskyan artificial economy.' The paper also shows these models often assume oversimplified hypotheses (that don't do justice tothe richness of Minskyan analyses) and, more seriously, often ignore the logical implications of these hypotheses. Finally, the authors arugue that most of these problems can be tackled when 'formal Minskyan' models are phrased as 'closures' of the 'general Minskyan' accounting framework described in the paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0402028.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 25 Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 30
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E1 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hyman P. Minsky & Piero Ferri, 1984. "Prices, Employment, and Profits," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 6(4), pages 489-499, July.
- Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati & Hyman P. Minsky, 1994.
"Financial Institutions, Economic Policy, and the Dynamic Behavior of the Economy,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_126, Levy Economics Institute.
- Domenico Delli Gatti & Mauro Gallegati & Hyman P. Minsky, 1999. "Financial Institutions, Economic Policy, and the Dynamic Behavior of the Economy," Macroeconomics 9903009, EconWPA.
- Davis, E P, 1987.
"A Stock-Flow Consistent Macro-econometric Model of the UK Economy--Part I,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(2), pages 111-32, April.
- Davis, E P, 1987. "A Stock-flow Consistent Macro-econometric Model of the UK Economy--Part II," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(4), pages 259-307, October.
- Backus, David, et al, 1980.
"A Model of U.S. Financial and Nonfinancial Economic Behavior,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 12(2), pages 259-93, Special I.
- David Backus & William C. Brainard & Gary Smith & James Tobin, 1980. "A Model of U.S. Financial and Nonfinancial Economic Behavior," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 548, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Greg Hannsgen, 2005.
"Minsky's acceleration channel and the role of money,"
Journal of Post Keynesian Economics,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 27(3), pages 471-489, April.
- Greg Hannsgen, 2003. "Minsky's Acceleration Channel and the Role of Money," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_384, Levy Economics Institute.
- Greg Hannsgen, 2003. "Minsky's Acceleration Channel and the Role of Money," Macroeconomics 0308003, EconWPA.
- Benjamin M. Friedman & David I. Laibson, 1989. "Economic Implications of Extraordinary Movements in Stock Prices," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(2), pages 137-190.
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & Anwar Shaikh & Claudio H. dos Santos & Gennaro Zezza, 2002. "Is Personal Debt Sustainable?," Economics Strategic Analysis Archive 02-11, Levy Economics Institute.
- Patterson, K D & Stephenson, M J, 1988. "Stock-Flow Consistent Accounting: A Macroeconomic Perspective," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 787-800, September.
- James Tobin, 1982.
"Money and Finance in the Macro-Economic Process,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
613R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Taylor, Lance & O'Connell, Stephen A, 1985. "A Minsky Crisis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(5), pages 871-85, Supp..
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2002. "'New Consensus,' New Keynesianism, and the Economics of the 'Third Way'," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_364, Levy Economics Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.