The role of oil prices and the real exchange rate in Russia‘s economy
AbstractMost people seem to think that Russia’s economy and fiscal situation are still crucially tied up with international oil prices and the exchange rate of the rouble, although this view has recently been challenged by some analysts. Empirical research on this topic is, however, scanty. In this paper, the impact of international oil prices and the real exchange rate on Russia's economy and fiscal policy is analysed using VAR methodology and cointegration techniques. The research period covered is 1995:Q1 – 2001:Q3. The results indicate that in the long run a 10% permanent increase (decrease) in international oil prices is associated with a 2.2% growth (fall) in the level of Russian GDP. Respectively, a 10% real apprecia-tion (depreciation) of the rouble is associated with a 2.4% decline (increase) in the level of output. These long-run equilibrium relationships also have a significant impact on short-run dynamics through an error-correction mechanism. The estimation results confirm also a strong dependence of fiscal revenues on output and oil price fluctuations. Estimated pa-rameters and diagnostic statistics do not indicate that Russia’s dependence on oil and the real exchange rate would somehow have weakened in recent years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0209004.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 17 Sep 2002
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on PC; pages: 25; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Russian economy; fiscal policy; oil; real exchange rate; VAR; cointegration;
Other versions of this item:
- Rautava, Jouko, 2002. "The role of oil prices and the real exchange rate in Russia's economy," BOFIT Discussion Papers 3/2002, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-09-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2002-09-28 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-IFN-2002-09-28 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basdevant, Olivier, 2000. "An econometric model of the Russian Federation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 305-336, April.
- Bernd Hayo & Ali Kutan, 2004.
"The Impact of News, Oil Prices, and Global Market Developments on Russian Financial Markets,"
- Bernd Hayo & Ali M. Kutan, 2005. "The impact of news, oil prices, and global market developments on Russian financial markets," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(2), pages 373-393, 04.
- Bernd Hayo & Ali M. Kutan, 2004. "The Impact of News, Oil Prices, and Global Market Developments on Russian Financial Markets," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-656, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kaitila, Ville, 2003. "An Assessment of RussiaŽs Growth Prospects in 2003 - 2010," Discussion Papers 869, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Sadek Boussena & Catherine Locatelli, 2005. "Towards a more coherent oil policy in Russia ?," Post-Print halshs-00003970, HAL.
- Hasanov, Fakhri, 2010.
"The impact of real oil price on real effective exchange rate: The case of Azerbaijan,"
33493, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fakhri Hasanov, 2010. "The Impact of Real Oil Price on Real Effective Exchange Rate: The Case of Azerbaijan," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1041, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Katsuya Ito, 2009. "The Russian Economy and the Oil Price: A Co-integrated VAR Approach," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 220-227, May.
- Hayo, Bernd & Kutan, Ali M., 2002.
"The impact of news, oil prices, and international spillovers on Russian financial markets,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 20-2002, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Bernd Hayo & Ali Kutan, 2002. "The Impact of News, Oil Prices, and International Spillovers on Russian Financial Markets," Finance 0209001, EconWPA.
- Hasanov Fakhri, 2011.
"Analyzing price level in a booming economy: the case of Azerbaijan,"
EERC Working Paper Series
11/02e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Hasanov, Fakhri, 2009. "Analyzing price level in a booming economy: the case of Azerbaijan," MPRA Paper 29555, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Locatelli, Catherine, 2006. "The Russian oil industry between public and private governance: obstacles to international oil companies' investment strategies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1075-1085, June.
- Suni, Paavo, 2007. "Oil Prices and the Russian Economy. Some Simulation Studies with NiGEM," Discussion Papers 1088, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Sadek Boussena & Catherine Locatelli, 2004. "Vers une plus grande cohérence de la politique pétrolière de la Russie ?," Post-Print halshs-00003489, HAL.
- Catherine Locatelli, 2002. "La faisabilité de la libéralisation de l'industrie gazière russe," Post-Print halshs-00177826, HAL.
- Tuuli Koivu & Pekka Sutela, 2005. "Financial Systems in Transition: Could Small Actually Be Beautiful?," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 265-283, Spring.
- Bruno Merlevede & Koen Schoors & Bas van Aarle, 2004.
"Russia from Bust to Boom: Oil, Politics or the Ruble?,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2004-722, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- B. Merlevede & K. Schoors & B. Van Aarle, 2007. "Russia from Bust to Boom: Oil, Politics or the Ruble?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 07/461, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:17:y:2008:i:17:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Markku Tykkyläinen, 2003. "Geographical Dimensions of Russian Energy Developments," ERSA conference papers ersa03p464, European Regional Science Association.
- Melnikov, Roman, 2010. "The impact of oil price dynamics on the macroeconomic indicators of the Russian economy," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 17(1), pages 20-29.
- Catherine Locatelli, 2006. "The russian oil industry between public and private governance : obstacles to international oil companies' investment strategies," Post-Print halshs-00002159, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.