Human Capital and Unemployment in Transition Economies: The Case of Kosova
AbstractIn this paper we explore the issues of human capita in Kosova, a country which is characterised by high unemployment and large-scale emigration. Using data from the Riinvest Labour Force and Household Survey (December 2002), we estimate the probability of being unemployed for those who are of working age, are active in the labour force and reside in Kosova. Apart from this, we estimate the probability of emigrating for those of working age. There seems to be some systematic patterns: (i) those who are unemployed are not randomly selected from the labour force; (ii) those who emigrate are not randomly selected from working age population. The empirical results show that the individuals residing in rural areas face higher probability of being unemployed. Consequently, they tend to emigrate more compared to those residing in urban areas. Second, males and married people face lower probability of being unemployed. But they also tend to emigrate more compared to their respective counterparts. Third, although the more educated individuals face lower probability of being unemployed in Kosova, they tend to emigrate more than less educated individuals. These research findings might be used for developing policy proposals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Labor and Demography with number 0412007.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 30 Dec 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - doc; pages: 20
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Transition; human capital; unemployment; emigration; Kosova;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J - Labor and Demographic Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-01-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2005-01-02 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2005-01-02 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burda, Michael C, 1992. "Unemployment, Labour Market Institutions and Structural Change in Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 746, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nauro F. Campos & Dean Jolliffe, 2002. "After, Before and During: Returns to Education in the Hungarian Transition," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 475, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Richard Blundell & Lorraine Dearden & Costas Meghir & Barbara Sianesi, 1999. "Human capital investment: the returns from education and training to the individual, the firm and the economy," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 20(1), pages 1-23, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.