On the Labor-Supply Effects of Age-Related Income Maintenance Programs
AbstractIn this paper a model is developed which is designed to capture the channels through which income transfer programs are likely to affect working hours of family members. The model demonstrates that the appropriate framework is neither a pure one-period or life-cycle one, but rather one that contains elements of both models. The final section illustrates a method of estimating the labor-supply reactions to income maintenance programs. The labor-supply effects are functions of the duration of a family's participation and the relevant importance of male market investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Labor and Demography with number 0402006.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 18 Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 19. The Journal of Human Resources, Vol. 10, No. 1, Winter 1975, pp. 25-43
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Other versions of this item:
- James P. Smith, 2004. "On the Labor-Supply Effects of Age-Related Income Maintenance Programs," Labor and Demography 0403012, EconWPA.
- J - Labor and Demographic Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James P. Smith, 2004. "Assets and Labor Supply," Labor and Demography 0404003, EconWPA.
- Green, Christopher & Tella, Alfred, 1969. "Effect of Nonemployment Income and Wage Rates on the Work Incentives of the Poor," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(4), pages 399-408, November.
- Yoram Ben-Porath, 1967. "The Production of Human Capital and the Life Cycle of Earnings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 352.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.