Market Power in International Commodity Processing Chains: Preliminary Results from the Coffee Market
AbstractVector autoregressions are used to model price transmission through the coffee processing chain, from producers to the world market and from the world market to consumers. A comparison is made of price dynamics against a backdrop of two very different market structures: pre-1989, producers exerted market power through export quotas and state- controlled marketing channels; post-1989, government interventions are minimal, but private actors at intermediary, processing and retailing levels have become quite concentrated. Interestingly, the analysis shows that liberalisation has not improved price transmission as significantly as expected and in some respects appears to have worsened it noticeably. One possible explanation is market power amongst private actors at intermediate levels in the processing chain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0511013.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 24 Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 38
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Vector Autoregression; Market Power; International Trade; Commodity Market Liberalisation; Coffee.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morisset, Jacques, 1998. "Unfair Trade? The Increasing Gap between World and Domestic Prices in Commodity Markets during the Past 25 Years," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 503-26, September.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997.
"Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998. "Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Morisset, Jacques, 1997. "Unfair trade? Empirical evidence in world commodity markets over te past 25 years," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1815, The World Bank.
- BETTENDORF, L. & VERBOVEN, Frank, 1998.
"Competition on the Dutch coffee market,"
SESO Working Papers
1998006, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Abbott, Philip C., 2003. "Towards More Socially Responsible Cocoa Trade," Working Papers 14603, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Takamasa Akiyama & John Baffes & Donald Larson & Panos Varangis, 2001. "Commodity Market Reforms : Lessons of Two Decades," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13852, October.
- Dolado, J.J. & Lutkepohl, H., 1994.
"Making Wald Tests Work for Cointegrated Var Systems,"
9424, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Juan J. DOLADO & Helmut LÜTKEPOHL, 1994. "Making Wald Tests Work for Cointegrated Var Systems," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1994,44, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Jochen Meyer & Stephan Cramon-Taubadel, 2004.
"Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 581-611.
- Meyer, Jochen & von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 2002. "Asymmetric Price Transmission: A Survey," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24822, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sabuhoro, Jean Bosco & Larue, Bruno, 1997. "The market efficiency hypothesis: The case of coffee and cocoa futures," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 171-184, August.
- Winter-Nelson, Alex & Temu, Anna, 2002. "Institutional Adjustment and Transaction Costs: Product and Inputs Markets in the Tanzanian Coffee System," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 561-574, April.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1996-86 is not listed on IDEAS
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Tom Doan, . "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Vogelvang, E, 1992. "Hypotheses Testing Concerning Relationships between Spot Prices of Various Types of Coffee," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 191-201, April-Jun.
- Feuerstein, Switgard, 2002. "Do coffee roasters benefit from high prices of green coffee?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 89-118, January.
- Jean-Paul Chavas & Aashish Mehta, 2004.
"Price Dynamics in a Vertical Sector: The Case of Butter,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1078-1093.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Mehta, Aashish, 2002. "Price Dynamics in a Vertical Sector: The Case of Butter," Staff Paper Series 452, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989.
"The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Perron, P, 1988. "The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis," Papers 338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Jian Yang & Jin Zhang & David J. Leatham, 2003. "Price and Volatility Transmission in International Wheat Futures," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 4(1), pages 37-50, May.
- Yamada, Hiroshi & Toda, Hiro Y., 1998. "Inference in possibly integrated vector autoregressive models: some finite sample evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 55-95, June.
- C. Dolan & J. Humphrey, 2000. "Governance and Trade in Fresh Vegetables: The Impact of UK Supermarkets on the African Horticulture Industry," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-176.
- Lopez, Rigoberto A. & You, Zhikang, 1993. "Determinants of oligopsony power : The Haitian coffee case," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 275-284, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Gonzales, F. & Guillotreau, P. & Le Grel, L. & Simioni, M., 2003. "Asymmetry of price transmission within the french value chain of seafood products," Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse) 49, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- MacLaren, Donald & Josling, Timothy E., 1999. "Competition Policy And International Agricultural Trade," Working Papers 14585, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Otero, J.G. & Milas, C., 1998. "Modeling The Behaviour of the Spot Prices of Various Types of Coffee," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 524, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Gilbert, Christopher L., 1996. "International Commodity Agreements: An obituary notice," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-19, January.
- H. Lütkepohl & J. Breitung, 1996. "Impulse Response Analysis of Vector Autoregressive Processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,86, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Lee, Jun & Gomez, Miguel I., 2011. "Impacts of the End of the Coffee Export Quota System on International-to-Retail Price Transmission," Working Papers 126600, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Subervie, Julie, 2011. "Producer price adjustment to commodity price shocks: An application of threshold cointegration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 2239-2246, September.
- Mehta, Aashish & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2008.
"Responding to the coffee crisis: What can we learn from price dynamics?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 282-311, February.
- Mehta, Aashish & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2004. "Responding to the Coffee Crisis: What Can We Learn from Price Dynamics," Staff Paper Series 472, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.