Trade Flows among CEEC and EU Countries: what future perspectives?
AbstractThe Eastern enlargement represents an opportunity for trade expansion for all the countries involved. In fact, trade between the EU and the Central Eastern European Countries (CEEC) has grown considerably in the nineties, coinciding with the transition period and the preparation of the CEEC to full-membership. In this paper we analyse the characteristics and evolution of the EU- CEEC trade in the last decade and study the potential bilateral trade flows between the EU and the CEEC. In particular, besides analysing trade relations between CEEC and the EU, we will study trade developments among the CEEC. Moreover, we will take into consideration the sectoral dimension in the analysis. The analysis is based on the gravity model approach using panel data from 1993 to 2001. It is possible to conclude that there is still scope for further expansion of the trade flows between some CEEC and some of the EU countries. Furthermore, there is scope for growth on trade flows among the CEEC, due to the fact that EU membership will promote complete trade liberalisation among these countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0504002.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 07 Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 26
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Trade; EU enlargement; Gravity Models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-04-16 (European Economics)
- NEP-INT-2005-04-16 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2005-04-16 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Isabel Proença & Maria Fontoura & Enrique Martínez-Galán, 2008. "Trade in the enlarged European Union: a new approach on trade potential," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 205-224, December.
- Selim Inançli & Mustafa Akal, 2013. "Export and Import Products Groups’ Shares of Turkey with Cee Countries After Theirs Accessions to Eu and Before," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(11), pages 1419-1438, November.
- Enrique Martínez-Galán & Maria-Paula Fontoura & Isabel Proença, 2005.
"Trade Potential In An Enlarged European Union: A Recent Approach,"
- Maria Paula Fontoura & Enrique Martínez-Galán & Isabel Proença, 2006. "Trade Potential in an Enlarged European Union: A Recent Approach," Working Papers Department of Economics 2006/08, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.