China's Changing Competitive Position: Lessons from a Unit-Labor- Cost-Based REER
AbstractThis paper calculates a unit labor-cost based real effective exchange rate for China for the period 1987-2002. It examines carefully which data sources can be used given the known limitations of Chinese data and constructs to them together with internationally available unit labor cost estimations for a number of industrialized countries, including Korea and Taiwan. It is found that gauged by the ULC measure the increase in manufacturing competitiveness from the late 1980s to the mid 1990s has been even more remarkably than given known industrial-price- based measures for real effective exchange rates suggest. However, since then, Chinese manufacturers have lost more ground than previously thought.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0502016.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: 28 Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 10
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
China; international competitiveness; real exchange rate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alwyn Young, 2003. "Gold into Base Metals: Productivity Growth in the People's Republic of China during the Reform Period," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1220-1261, December.
- Keidel, Albert, 2001. "China's GDP expenditure accounts," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 355-367.
- Luci Ellis, 2001. "Measuring the Real Exchange Rate: Pitfalls and Practicalities," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2001-04, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas & Vollmer, Sebastian & Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada, 2008. "Does comparative advantage make countries competitive? A comparison of China and Mexico," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 74, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.