Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate In Brazil Estimation And Policy Implications
AbstractThis paper examines the determinants of the real effective exchange rate (REER) in Brazil, from 1994 to 2003. Building on a standard theoretical model and based on the Johansen cointegration estimation, the main finding is that much of the long-run behavior of the REER can be explained by relative productivity differentials, real commodity prices, government expenditures on tradables and non-tradables, trade openness and real interest differentials. On the basis of these fundamentals, the level of misalignment of the Real was found to be surprisingly modest during the Real Plan (1994-1998). As of end 2003, the Real was found to be slightly appreciated with respect to the estimated equilibrium level, although the extent of the misalignment appears to be small as well. The paper also discusses the implications of these findings with regard to trade competitiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0502013.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 23 Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 34
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Brazil; Real Exchange Rate; Trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susana Garcia Cervero & J. Humberto Lopez & Enrique Alberola Ila & Angel J. Ubide, 1999. "Global Equilibrium Exchange Rates," IMF Working Papers 99/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Claudio Paiva, 2003. "Trade Elasticities and Market Expectations in Brazil," IMF Working Papers 03/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Taimur Baig & Ilan Goldfajn, 2000.
"The Russian Default and the Contagion to Brazil,"
IMF Working Papers
00/160, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael R. Pakko & Patricia S. Pollard, 2003. "Burgernomics: a big MacT guide to purchasing power parity," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 9-28.
- Ronald Macdonald & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2004.
"Estimation Of The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate For South Africa,"
South African Journal of Economics,
Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(2), pages 282-304, 06.
- Ronald MacDonald & Luca Antonio Ricci, 2003. "Estimation of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate for South Africa," IMF Working Papers 03/44, International Monetary Fund.
- Alexander W. Hoffmaister & Carlos I. Medeiros & Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1997. "Cyclical Fluctuations in Brazil's Real Exchange Rate," IMF Working Papers 97/128, International Monetary Fund.
- Ratna Sahay & Luis Felipe CÃ©spedes & Paul Cashin, 2002. "Keynes, Cocoa, and Copper," IMF Working Papers 02/223, International Monetary Fund.
- Enrique Alberola & Susana G. Cervero & Humberto Lopez & Angel Ubide, 2000. "Global Equilibrium Exchange Rates: Euro, Dollar, "Ins," "Outs," and Other Major Currencies in a Panel Cointegration Framework," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0051, Econometric Society.
- Alberola, Enrique & Lopez, Humberto & Serven, Luis, 2004.
"Tango with the Gringo: the hard peg and real misalignment in Argentina,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3322, The World Bank.
- Enrique Alberola & Humberto López & Luis Servén, 2004. "Tango with the gringo: the hard peg and real misalign ment in Argentina," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0405, Banco de Espa�a.
- Sosunov, K. & Ushakov, N., 2009. "Determination of the Real Exchange Rate of the Ruble and Assessment of Long-Run Policy of Real Exchange Rate Targeting," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, issue 3-4, pages 97-121.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.