The Nigerian Sugar Industry(1960 - 1987)
AbstractTHE CONCEPT OF AN INDUSTRY IS IMPORTANT FOR ECONOMIC ANALYSIS. HERE, WE DEFINE SUGAR INDUSTRY AS GROUP OF FIRMS PRODUCING SUGAR THAT ARE CLOSE SUBSTITUTES BY THE USE OF IDENTICAL PRODUCTION PROCESSES AND RAW MATERIALS. HOWEVER, SUGAR INDUSTRY IN NIGERIA WAS STILL IN ITS PIONEERING STAGE. THIS PAPER THEREFORE ARGUES THAT THE STRUCTURE AND ORIENTATION OF NIGERIAN SUGAR INDUSTRY HAVE NOT INDUCED GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT AND THUS A MORE URGENT ATTENTION WAS NEEDED FROM THE POLICY MAKERS AND GOVERNMENT TO CHECK THE OBSERVED UGLY SITUATION.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0501001.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 02 Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 15. THIS IS A PREVIOUS RESEARCH FOR PUBLIC ACCESS
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
NIGERIA; SUGAR; INDUSTRY; PRODUCTION; PRICING POLICY; DISTRIBUTION; TECHNIQUES; MARKET STRUCTURE; GOVERNMENT; INCENTIVES;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- M00 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - General - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2005-01-09 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2005-01-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2005-01-09 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-IND-2005-01-09 (Industrial Organization)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.