The market for cocoa powder
AbstractThe paper analyses the forces that shape demand and supply processes in the market for cocoa powder. A brief statistical summary is given of the main trends in international demand and production, and the spatial shifts in cocoa processing. Ample attention is given to the role of technology substitution and price factors in production decisions. The paper separately analyses the role of price, income levels and government regulation in the demand for cocoa powder. In the final part of the paper, all preceding elements are brought together in an integrated simulation model of the cocoa processing industry, showing the interactions between the market for cocoa powder and other elements of the cocoa industry (cocoa, cocoa butter, cocoa liquor, chocolate). Empirical evidence is presented with regard to main parameters of the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0412002.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 06 Dec 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 37. Background paper for 'Modelling and forecasting the market for cocoa and chocolate', Economic and Social Institute (ESI), Free University Amsterdam, August 2000
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
cocoa; cocoa powder; industry study; simulation model; intermediate products; government regulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L19 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Other
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2004-12-12 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2004-12-12 (Computational Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abdel Hameed, Amna Awad & Hasanov, Akram & Idris, Nurjihan & Abdullah, Amin Mahir & Mohamed Arshad, Fatimah & Shamsudin, Mad Nasir, 2009. "Supply and Demand Model for the Malaysian Cocoa Market," MPRA Paper 19568, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Applanaidu, Shri Dewi & Mohamed Arshad, Fatimah & Abdel Hameed, Amna Awad & Hasanov, Akram & Idris, Nurjihan & Abdullah, Amin Mahir & Shamsudin, Mad Nasir, 2009. "Malaysian Cocoa Market Modeling: A Combination of Econometric and System Dynamics Approach," MPRA Paper 19569, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.