Innovation, Market Structure and Economic Growth
AbstractThis paper presents a dynamic partial equilibrium model that endogenizes firms' investment decision on innovation: product innovation causes horizontal expansion growth, and process innovation causes vertical expansion growth. Market structure in different markets emerges as a consequence of different investment on innovation opportunities. Main variables that constrain this structure in a given market are the rate of scientific (basic) discoveries that permit innovation productivity, and the degree of substitution between varieties, together with the possible existence of scope economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0411007.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 11 Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 20. comments welcome: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
R&D; Market Structure; Growth.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-11-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2004-11-22 (Development)
- NEP-ENT-2004-11-22 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2004-11-22 (Innovation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.