Market Structure, Concentration Indices and Welfare Cost
AbstractThis paper revisited the analytics of the welfare significance of market imperfections using the industry concentration index. It reopened the issue of how best to measure the concentration index. Specifically, it developed a new market concentration index based on the Hirschman- Herfindahl concentration index that preserves all its known advantages as a full information industry concentration index. It also improved on its usefulness and applicability. In developing the new index the paper reviewed the development of the analytical principles and methodologies for the empirical measurement of the welfare or social cost of monopoly (market imperfections). In particular, it reviewed Cowling-Mueller (1981) extensively because the analytical framework they prescribed for the measurement of the welfare cost of oligopoly is misconceived and misleading. The new index is of great usefulness and wide applicability and generalizes the welfare loss function to the entire market structure spectrum.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0406011.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 30 Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 16
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
market power; market imperfections; industry concentration indices; Hirschman-Herfindahl concentration index; Agiobenebo-Hirschman- Herfindahl index; welfare cost of market imperfections;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2004-07-04 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENT-2004-07-04 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-IND-2004-07-26 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mueller, Dennis C, 1977. "The Persistence of Profits above the Norm," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(176), pages 369-80, November.
- Orbeta, Aniceto Jr. C. & Abrigo, Michael Ralph M., 2009. "Philippine International Labor Migration in the Past 30 Years: Trends and Prospects," Discussion Papers DP 2009-33, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.