Organizational Issues in the Agrifood Sector: Toward a Comparative Approach
AbstractThis paper outlines a research program comparing the economic organization of agriculture in the United States and European Union. Both have highly developed agricultural sectors but their organizational arrangements vary widely. Comparative analysis not only provides a broad set of firms and industries to compare, but also highlights the interaction between the institutional environment and the arrangements established to govern agricultural transactions. We first assess the common trend toward consolidation and vertical integration, turning next to the economic organization of formal and informal networks. While history and path dependence explain some of the variety among U.S. and European practices, other local conditions are important as well. We conclude by assessing the policy implications of recent changes in economic organization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0401005.
Date of creation: 08 Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document -
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L - Industrial Organization
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-01-12 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1998. "The Nature of the Farm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 343-86, October.
- George Hendrikse & Jos Bijman, 2002. "Ownership Structure in Agrifood Chains: The Marketing Cooperative," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 104-119.
- Martinez, Stephen W., 2002. "A Comparison of Vertical Coordination in the U.S. Poultry, Egg, and Pork Industries," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33773, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
6625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Knoeber, Charles R, 1989. "A Real Game of Chicken: Contracts, Tournaments, and the Production of Broilers," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 271-92, Fall.
- Traversac, Jean-Baptiste & Rousset, Sylvain & Perrier-Cornet, Philippe, 2011. "Farm resources, transaction costs and forward integration in agriculture: Evidence from French wine producers," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 839-847.
- Vandermeulen, Valerie & Vuylsteke, Anne & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2011. "A System Approach on Organizational Innovations in the Agro-Food Sector: The Case of AFSCs in Flanders," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 122011, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Ghozzi, Houda, . ""Strange forms" : Still in need for a framework," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/2665, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Pennings, Joost M.E. & Garcia, Philip, 2009.
"Do Transaction Costs and Risk Preferences Influence Marketing Arrangements in the Illinois Hog Industry?,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(2), August.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Pennings, Joost M.E. & Garcia, Philip, 2008. "Do Transaction Costs and Risk Preferences Influence Marketing Arrangements in the Illinois Hog Industry?," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37599, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Leathers, Howard D., 2006. "Are Cooperatives Efficient When Membership is Voluntary?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Fritz, Melanie, 2006. "Trust and Risk in Business Networks: Towards a Due Diligence for Electronic Commerce," 99th Seminar, February 8-10, 2006, Bonn, Germany 7753, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hendrikse, George W.J., 2006. "On the Coexistence of Spot and Contract Markets: a Delivery Requirement Explanation," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21041, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Banterle, Alessandro & Stranieri, Stefanella, 2008. "The consequences of voluntary traceability system for supply chain relationships. An application of transaction cost economics," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 560-569, December.
- Royer, Annie & Menard, Claude & Gouin, Daniel-Mercier, 2012. "Marketing Boards as Hybrid Governance: A study of the Canadian hog industry," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126706, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jean-Baptiste Traversac & HervÃ© Lanotte, 2011. "An economic history of the Champagne contracts, lessons for regional development," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1145, European Regional Science Association.
- Schleyer, Christian & Theesfeld, Insa & Hagedorn, Konrad & Aznar, Olivier & Callois, Jean-Marc & Verburg, Rene & Yelkouni, Martin & Olsson, Johanna Alkan, 2007. "Approach towards an operational tool to apply institutional analysis for the assessment of policy feasibility within SEAMLESS-IF," Reports 9295, SEAMLESS: System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling, Linking European Science and Society.
- Sykuta, Michael E. & Klein, Peter G. & James, Harvey S., Jr., 2005. "Markets, Contracts, or Integration? The Adoption, Diffusion, and Evolution of Organizational Form," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19390, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hu, Y. & Huang, Z. & Hendrikse, G.W.J. & Xu, X., 2005. "Organization and Strategy of Farmer Specialized Cooperatives in China," Research Paper ERS-2005-059-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Norbert Hirschauer & Stefan Zwoll, 2008. "Understanding and managing behavioural risks: the case of malpractice in poultry production," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 27-60, August.
- Vuylsteke, Anne & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2008. "Coordination of collective action in the agro-food sector," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44263, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pennerstorfer, Dieter & Weiss, Christoph R., 2007. "Do Cooperatives Offer High Quality Products?," 103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain 9403, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hirschauer, Norbert & Musshoff, Oliver, 2007. "A game-theoretic approach to behavioral food risks: The case of grain producers," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 246-265, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.