Restructuring the Polish Railway for Competition
AbstractThe Polish government is considering methods of the privatizing and possible restructuring of the Polish National Railway, PKP, that would improve the efficiency of the railroad while creating some form of competition in order to prevent monopoly pricing. Traditional intramodal competition is unlikely to be feasible in the foreseeable future, and for the most important commodities carried by PKP, intermodal competition is not important. A proposal under discussion is to separate the ownership of track and trains and seek to create competition among different train operators over a single track network. This paper compares this proposal to similar proposals and arrangements in other countries and evaluates its feasibility for Poland.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0111006.
Date of creation: 16 Nov 2001
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - WordPerfect; prepared on PC
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
railway; restructuring; competition; regulation; Poland;
Other versions of this item:
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-11-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2001-11-21 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENT-2001-11-21 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-NET-2001-11-21 (Network Economics)
- NEP-REG-2001-11-21 (Regulation)
- NEP-TRA-2001-11-05 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Russell Pittman, 2003. "Vertical Restructuring (or Not) of the Infrastructure Sectors of Transition Economies," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 5-26, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.