The Signals Approach as an Early Warning System for Currency Crises. An Application to Transition Economies - with special emphasis on Poland
AbstractObjectives: The objectives of this empirical study are: firstly, to modify and extend the 'signals approach', developed by Kaminsky/Lizondo/Reinhart (1997) as an early warning system for currency crises, secondly, to apply it to transition economies in Central and Eastern Europe, and, thirdly, to calculate and measure the risk potential of currency crises in those countries. Results: The results show that the currency crises included in this study can be explained ex-post us-ing the 'signals approach'. Although differences in individual crises remain, they have nonetheless much in common with currency crises in other emerging markets. The modified 'signals approach' seems to have enough explanatory power to assess the current vulnerability to currency crises in this country sample. Both the composite indicator and statistics based on it give a reasonably clear picture of the risk of currency crises. For instance, even though the indicators were calculated based on the sample of crises countries, which does not include Poland, the composite index and the conditional probabilities of currency crises show a high risk for this economy throughout the year 2001. Looking at the situation in November 2001 the highest vulnerability can be found in the three largest new EU-member states and future participants in the EMS/EMU (Hungary, Czech Republic, and Poland). Conclusion: The results of this study show that the 'signals approach' is useful both for assessing a coun-try's risk potential and for a structured ex-post analysis. Even for non-market economies such as Moldova and Belarus statistically reasonable results can be obtained. However, one cannot realistically expect to derive detailed information on the occurrence and impacts of crises from this study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Finance with number 0304001.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on Windows NT; to print on Xerox DocTech 135 PS 2 (PostScript); pages: 26 ; figures: included. Pdf-Document regarding an early warning system for currency crises in Central and Eastern Europe
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Early Warning System; Vulnerability Indicator; Financial Crises; Central and Eastern Europe;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2003-04-09 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2003-04-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-FIN-2003-04-09 (Finance)
- NEP-IFN-2003-04-09 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997.
"Leading indicators of currency crises,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1852, The World Bank.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1998.
"On crises, contagion, and confusion,"
13709, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.