Sovereign Risk and Real Business Cycles in a Small Open Economy
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of sovereign risk on the stochastic rational expectations equilibrium of a real business cycle small open economy. The credit market is imperfect because the sovereign cannot commit to repay its outstanding debt and chooses to default when it is optimal to do so. The possibility of default induces an endogenous sovereign risk premium on foreign debt and an endogenous rationing limit set by foreign creditors. The model is parameterized and solved numerically to explore the determinants of the savings and investment decisions in an economy that can optimally choose to default on its foreign debt and the ability to account for the Sudden Stop of capital inflows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Finance with number 0212001.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 10 Dec 2002
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on IBM Linux/LyX; to print on none; pages: 36 ; figures: none
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
sovereign risk default RBC small open economies emerging market crises;
Other versions of this item:
- Franz Hamann, 2002. "Sovereign Risk And Real Business Cycles In A Small Open Economic," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003521, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Franz Hamann, . "Sovereign Risk and Real Business Cycles in a Small Open Economy," Borradores de Economia 226, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-12-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2002-12-17 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-FIN-2002-12-17 (Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2002-12-17 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Correia, Maria Isabel Horta & Neves, Joao C & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1994.
"Business Cycles in a Small Open Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
996, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zhang, Harold H, 1997. " Endogenous Borrowing Constraints with Incomplete Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 2187-2209, December.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1993.
"Uninsured idiosyncratic risk and aggregate saving,"
502, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2002.
"Default, currency crises, and sovereign credit ratings,"
13917, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 2002. "Default, Currency Crises, and Sovereign Credit Ratings," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(2), pages 151-170, August.
- Carmen M. Reinhart, 2002. "Default, Currency Crises and Sovereign Credit Ratings," NBER Working Papers 8738, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo Larraín & Helmut Reisen & Julia von Maltzan, 1997. "Emerging Market Risk and Sovereign Credit Ratings," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 124, OECD Publishing.
- repec:idb:brikps:6499 is not listed on IDEAS
- Franz Hamann, .
"Sovereign Risk and Macroeconomic Fluctuations,"
Borradores de Economia
225, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Katherine A. Smith, 2002. "Margin Calls, Trading Costs, and Asset Prices in Emerging Markets: The Finanical Mechanics of the 'Sudden Stop' Phenomenon," NBER Working Papers 9286, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Gersovitz, Mark, 1981. "Debt with Potential Repudiation: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 289-309, April.
- Huggett, Mark, 1993. "The risk-free rate in heterogeneous-agent incomplete-insurance economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(5-6), pages 953-969.
- Mendoza, Enrique G, 1991. "Real Business Cycles in a Small Open Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 797-818, September.
- Cristina Arellano & Enrique G. Mendoza, 2002.
"Credit Frictions and 'Sudden Stops' in Small Open Economies: An Equilibrium Business Cycle Framework for Emerging Markets Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
8880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cristina Arellano & Enrique Mendoza, 2002. "Credit Frictions and 'Sudden Stops' in Small Open Economies: An Equilibrium Business Cycle Framework for Emerging Markets Crises," Research Department Publications 4307, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Wilman Gómez & Carlos Esteban Posada, . "Un "Choque" del Activo Externo Neto y el Ciclo Económico Colombiano," Borradores de Economia 285, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Mauricio A. Hernández & Munir A. Jalil B. & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2005.
"El costo de los ciclos económicos en Colombia: una nueva Estimación,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002478, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Mauricio A. Hernández M. & Munir A. Jalil B. & Carlos Esteban Posada P., 2007. "El Costo De Los Ciclos Económicos En Colombia: Una Nueva Estimación," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Mauricio A. Hernández & Munir A. Jalil & Carlos Esteban Posada, . "El Costo de los Ciclos Económicos en Colombia: Una Nueva Estimación," Borradores de Economia 353, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Cristina Arellano, 2005. "Default Risk, the Real Exchange Rate and Income Fluctuations in Emerging Economies," 2005 Meeting Papers 516, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.