The Qualitative Performance of the French Health Care System Evolutions compared to Europe since 1970
AbstractTo judge a health care system, it is necessary to analyse its results in terms of health and to bring them back to its economic effectiveness. Health outcomes can be evaluated in several ways but none of them is really representative. To locate the performance in terms of health for the French system, we thus compared France with four European countries (Germany, Denmark, Sweden and the United-Kingdom), which are close in relation to and comparable in terms of behaviour and standard of living, from 1960 to 1995. We selected a sample of frequent and revealing pathologies of the Health care system activity and risks behaviour. The result of this approach is paradoxical and sometimes in contradiction with the common belief, which often confuses the means and the results and allots the health status mainly to the action of the Health care system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series HEW with number 0308001.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 08 Aug 2003
Date of revision: 11 Aug 2003
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on IBM PC ; to print on HP Laserjet 4100; pages: 19
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Health Status Indicators; Health care system performance; Death rates; France and OECD countries;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-08-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2003-08-17 (Education)
- NEP-EEC-2003-08-17 (European Economics)
- NEP-HEA-2003-08-17 (Health Economics)
- NEP-HIS-2003-08-17 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melissa Jee & Zeynep Or, 1999. "Health Outcomes in OECD Countries: A Framework of Health Indicators for Outcome-Oriented Policymaking," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 36, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.