The Case for Minimum Teaching Standards
AbstractWe all share the desire to improve the learning environment at Wharton and to have students who will be satisfied with this environment. While most of the Wharton Teaching Committee's recommendations are consistent with these aims, I believe that recommendation #1, to 'Establish Minimum Standards for Acceptable Teaching,'' will be detrimental to learning. I therefore recommend that we reject proposal #1. This letter describes how I reached this conclusion, suggests alternatives, and recommends a process for resolving tie issues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series General Economics and Teaching with number 0502011.
Length: 5 pages
Date of creation: 04 Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 5
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
learning; universities; business schools;
Other versions of this item:
- A - General Economics and Teaching
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Attiyeh, Richard & Lumsden, Keith G, 1972. "Some Modern Myths in Teaching Economics: The U. K. Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(2), pages 429-33, May.
- J. S. Armstrong, 2005.
"Teacher vs. Learner Responsibility in Management Education,"
General Economics and Teaching
- JS Armstrong, 2004. "Teacher vs. Learner Responsibility in Management Education," General Economics and Teaching 0412020, EconWPA.
- J. S. Armstrong, 2005. "Learner Responsibility in Management Education, or Ventures into Forbidden Research (with Comments)," General Economics and Teaching 0502012, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.