Determinacy of Competitive Equilibria in Economies with Many Commodities
AbstractThis paper provides a framework for establishing the determinacy of equilibria in general equilibrium models with infinitely many commodities and a finite number of consumers and producers. The paper defines a notion of regular economy for such models and gives sufficient conditions on the excess savings equations characterizing equilibria under which regular economies have a finite number of equilibria, each of which is locally stable with respect to perturbations in exogenous parameters, and under which regular economies are generic. For the case of sequence economies in which there are countably many commodities, such as discrete time models or markets with countably many assets, the paper develops sufficient conditions on preferences and technologies for these generic determinacy conclusions to hold. These arguments build on the intuition that these economies can be thought of as the limit of economies with a large finite number of commodities, and conclude that the sharp predictions of generic determinacy in economies with finitely many commodities carry over to economies with countably many commodities under one additional assumption, which prohibits goods from becoming perfect substitutes asymptotically.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series GE, Growth, Math methods with number 9610002.
Date of creation: 18 Oct 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Other versions of this item:
- Chris Shannon., 1996. "Determinacy of Competitive Equilibria in Economies with Many Commodities," Economics Working Papers 96-249, University of California at Berkeley.
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1998-10-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-1998-10-02 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MIC-1998-10-02 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peleg, Bezalel & Yaari, Menahem E, 1973. "On the Existence of a Consistent Course of Action when Tastes are Changing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 391-401, July.
- Covarrubias Enrique, 2010.
"Regular Infinite Economies,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-21, July.
- Enrique Covarrubias, 2010. "Regular Infinite Economies," Working Papers 2010-03, Banco de México.
- Enrique Covarrubias, 2007. "Regular Infinite Economies," Levine's Working Paper Archive 843644000000000034, David K. Levine.
- Covarrubias, Enrique, 2008. "Determinacy of equilibria of smooth infinite economies," MPRA Paper 9437, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- H. Polemarchakis & S. Demichelis, 2002. "Frequency of Trade and the Determinancy of Equilibrium Paths: Logarithmic Economies of Overlapping Generations Under Certainty," Working Papers 2002-16, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- DEMICHELIS, Stefano & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 2000. "Life-span and the determinacy of equilibrium in economies of overlapping generations," CORE Discussion Papers 2000034, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Covarrubias, Enrique, 2013.
"The number of equilibria of smooth infinite economies,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 263-265.
- Enrique Covarrubias, 2011. "The Number of Equilibria of Smooth Infinite Economies," Working Papers 2011-02, Banco de México.
- Covarrubias, Enrique, 2008. "The number of equilibria of smooth infinite economies with separable utilities," MPRA Paper 11099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.