Two-sided altruism, Lindahl Equilibrium, and Pareto Optimality in Overlapping Generations Models
AbstractThe paper extends the Samuelsonian overlapping generations framework to encompass a variety of altruistic preferences, recasting it into a Lindahl equilibrium framework. It has been shown that altruism towards parents provides an alternative answer to the basic question of capital theory as to why interest rates are positive; the Lindahl equilibrium obeys the First and the Second Welfare theorems with respect to the Malinvaud optimality criterion but not the Pareto optimality criterion. A complete characterization of Pareto optimal allocations is provided using Lindahl equilibrium prices. It is shown that a sufficiently strong altruism towards parents can change a Pareto inefficient Samuelsonian economy with negative interest rate to an efficient classical economy with positive interest rate. Based on Sen's meta ranking concept, the paper proposes an ethical principle to supplement the equilibrium theory for guiding agents in their choice of the degree of altruism towards their parents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series GE, Growth, Math methods with number 9604001.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 04 Apr 1996
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Postscript; prepared on IBM PC - PC-TEX; to print on PostScript; pages: 17; figures: included. We never published this piece and now we would like to reduce our mailing and xerox cost by posting it.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Altruism; Lindahl equilibrium; Overlapping generations model; Two-sided altruism;
Other versions of this item:
- Lakshmi Raut, 2006. "Two-sided altruism, Lindahl equilibrium, and Pareto optimality in overlapping generations models," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 729-736, 04.
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- D64 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Altruism; Philanthropy
- D9 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1998-10-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-1998-10-02 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-PUB-1998-10-02 (Public Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lakshmi K. Raut, 1996. "Subgame perfect manipulation of children by overlapping generations of agents with two-sided altruism and endogenous fertility," Labor and Demography 9604003, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.