Optimal growth path in an OLG economy without time-preference assumptions (full text)
AbstractThe aim is to characterize optimal growth paths in an OLG economy where capital accumulation is achieved through bequests, without using the assumption of time preference theory on a social level, because such an assumption, that leads to use a discounted infinite horizon sum, introduce necessarily inequality between the different generations of the society. I investigated two optimality concepts: Pareto-optimality and consensual optimality. I considered the case without technical change. I found that all steady-state optimal growth paths converge necessarily to a level of capital where the marginal gain from a decrease of bequest is equal to the marginal loss from a similar decrease of heritage. With the use of an intergenerational altruistic utility, I showed that spontaneous equilibrium cannot be an optimal growth path unless generations feel (asymptotically) for their heirs as they feel for themselves.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series GE, Growth, Math methods with number 0510006.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: 18 Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 46. This paper gives the detailed proofs of 'Optimal growth path in an OLG economy without time- preference assumptions: main results'
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
optimal growth; time-preference; egalitarianism; Pareto- optimality; golden-rule; OLG economy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C6 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling
- D5 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium
- D9 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-22 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mohamed Mabrouk, 2005. "Intergenerational anonymity as an alternative to the discounted- sum criterion in the calculus of optimal growth II: Pareto optimality and some economic interpretations," GE, Growth, Math methods 0511007, EconWPA.
- Mabrouk, Mohamed, 2006. "Allais-anonymity as an alternative to the discounted-sum criterion in the calculus of optimal growth I: Consensual optimality," MPRA Paper 10512, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohamed Mabrouk, 2005. "Intergenerational anonymity as an alternative to the discounted- sum criterion in the calculus of optimal growth I: Consensual optimality," GE, Growth, Math methods 0510013, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.