Economic / Environmental System Interaction
AbstractThis work is focused on identifying the relationship an economic system and its policies have with the environment. The biosphere is chosen in particular as object of analysis but this can be extended by means of an ecosystem recursive properties. The common factor involved in the relationship analysis is that currently associated with entropy, being the underlying measure of any transformation process. Ashby s viable system model (VSM) is used as a means of appraising the attribution of sustainability while establishing a consistent system of units for both the solar flux and economic transformation processes. Conditions for a virtuous cycle dynamic in relation to sustainability is expressed, adhering to non-equilibrium thermodynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series GE, Growth, Math methods with number 0306001.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: 07 Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - RTF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 9 ; figures: included. Non-profit reproduction and distribution of this text for educational and research reasons is permitted providing this copyright statement is included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Sustainability; Entropy; Variety; Viable; Change;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A12 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Other Disciplines
- A20 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - General
- B40 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - General
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- C82 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Macroeconomic Data; Data Access
- D46 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Value Theory
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- D78 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Positive Analysis of Policy Formulation and Implementation
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
- H60 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - General
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
- K32 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Environmental, Health, and Safety Law
- K34 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Tax Law
- M40 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O20 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - General
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- P00 - Economic Systems - - General - - - General
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-06-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAW-2003-06-16 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-PBE-2003-06-16 (Public Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.