Optimal Consumption/Investment Policies with Undiversifiable Income Risk and Borrowing Constraints
AbstractWe examine the optimal consumption and portfolio choice of an investor having an initial wealth endowment and an uncertain stream of income from non-traded assets. The income stream is not spanned by traded assets, and the investor is not allowed to borrow against future income, so the financial market is incomplete. We solve the corresponding stochastic control problem numerically with the Markov chain approximation method. In particular, we find that the implicit value, the agent attaches to an uncertain income stream, can be much smaller in this incomplete market than it is in the complete market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 9712003.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 15 Dec 1997
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - ; to print on PostScript; pages: 24 ; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
optimal consumption and portfolio policies; undiversifiable income risk; borrowing constraints; wealth equivalent of income; Markov chain approximation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duffie, Darrell & Fleming, Wendell & Soner, H. Mete & Zariphopoulou, Thaleia, 1997. "Hedging in incomplete markets with HARA utility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 753-782, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Cuoco, Domenico, 1997. "Optimal Consumption and Equilibrium Prices with Portfolio Constraints and Stochastic Income," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 33-73, January.
- Hindy, Ayman & Huang, Chi-fu & Zhu, Steven H., 1997. "Numerical analysis of a free-boundary singular control problem in financial economics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 297-327.
- Darrell Duffie & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, 1993. "Optimal Investment With Undiversifiable Income Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 135-148.
- Claus Munk, 1997. "No-Arbitrage Bounds on Contingent Claims Prices with Convex Constraints on the Dollar Investments of the Hedge Portfolio," Finance 9712006, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.