Corporate governance in Greece: developments and policy implications
AbstractThe upgrading of the Greek capital market and the effort to join other mature capital markets has posed corporate governance reform as a first priority. In addition, the 2004 Olympic Games put the Greek market in the international spotlight and will likely invite interest from foreign investors. More than ever, an efficient corporate governance framework is condition sine qua non for the competitive transformation of the capital market and the business world. At the same time the European Union (EU) faces both the pressure and challenge for harmonization of the laws and regulations and convergence of corporate governance systems, especially after the entrance of the new member states. The paper has two objectives: (i) to present the main aspects of corporate governance in Greece, contributing to the relevant growing body of literature, and (ii) to place the current corporate governance developments and trends in Greece within the international debate, especially in the light of the recent debate to improve and convergence corporate governance in EU. Firstly, I review the corporate governance debate and its implication at the EU level. Secondly, I describe the corporate governance framework in Greece in the light of the recent key reforms. Finally, I summarize the overall findings and proceed with some critical points and recommendations for the potential future direction of the corporate governance agenda in Greece.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0502017.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 22 Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 24
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Corporate governance; rating; disclosure; ownership; Greece;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G - Financial Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2005-04-16 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-04-16 (European Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Law and Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Klapper, Leora F. & Love, Inessa, 2004.
"Corporate governance, investor protection, and performance in emerging markets,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 703-728, November.
- Klapper, Leora F. & Love, Inessa, 2002. "Corporate governance, investor protection, and performance in emerging markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2818, The World Bank.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985.
"The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985. "The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Scholarly Articles 3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Colin Mayer, 2003. "Corporate Governance: A Policy for Europe," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 139(III), pages 287-297, September.
- Carlin, Wendy & Mayer, Colin, 1999.
"Finance, Investment and Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Pagano & Paolo Volpin, 1999.
"The Political Economy of Corporate Governance,"
CSEF Working Papers
29, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Jul 2005.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
6625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Tirole, Jean, 2001.
Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 1-35, January.
- Black, Bernard, 2001. "The corporate governance behavior and market value of Russian firms," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 89-108, June.
- Paul Gompers & Joy Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2003.
"Corporate Governance And Equity Prices,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 107-155, February.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2001. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," NBER Working Papers 8449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul A. Gompers & Joy L. Ishii & Andrew Metrick, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Equity Prices," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1998.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 559-86, June.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, . "Financial Dependence and Growth," CRSP working papers 344, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996. "Financial Dependence and Growth," NBER Working Papers 5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beck, Thorsten & Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman, 2000.
"Finance and the sources of growth,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 261-300.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Levine, R. & Loayza, N., 2000. "Finance and the sources of growth," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125520, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman, 1999. "Finance and the sources of growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2057, The World Bank.
- Olli Castrén & Tuomas Takalo, 2000.
"Capital market development, corporate governance and the credibility of exchange rate pegs,"
Working Paper Series
34, European Central Bank.
- Olli Castren & Tuomas Takalo, 2000. "Capital Market Development, Corporate Governance and the Credibility of Exchange Rate Pegs," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0515, Econometric Society.
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- Bernard S. Black & Hasung Jang & Woochan Kim, 2006. "Does Corporate Governance Predict Firms' Market Values? Evidence from Korea," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(2), pages 366-413, October.
- Spanos, Loukas & Mylonakis, John, 2006. "Internet corporate reporting in Greece," MPRA Paper 42997, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sarra Elleuch Hamza & Mouna Ben Ahmed Hedrich, 2008. "Les déterminants de la divulgation des informations financières via Internet adoptée par les entreprises tunisiennes : une démarche qualitative et quantitative," Post-Print halshs-00524888, HAL.
- Themistokles Lazarides, 2010. "Corporate governance law effect in Greece," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(4), pages 370-385, November.
- Spanos, Loukas & Tsipouri, Lena & Xanthakis, Manolis, 2006. "Corporate governance rating in a small open capital market: Methodology and applications in the Greek market," MPRA Paper 42896, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.