Privatization, Corporate Control and Regulatory Reform: The case of Telefonica
AbstractThis study analyzes the interaction of agency problems in public policy and of agency problems inside the firm: it investigates the case of a large privatized firm subject to many policy constraints. The last steps of Telefonica's privatization were designed to promote a disperse ownership and give managers a high level of discretion in running the company. By this, the government effectively created an agency problem inside the firm. There were no powerful shareholders to constrain the managers, and the threat of a takeover was not a credible one, since the government kept a golden share. There is no overall evidence of capture of politicians and regulators by managers in the interest of shareholders, although evidence suggests the existence of collusion between politicians and managers. We interpret the political interference with the firm’s control (a well documented phenomenon both in this study and in the cross-country literature on privatization; e.g. political ends in privatization, influence in appointments, golden shares) as the most visible part of such collusion. Liberalization and multi-level regulation will likely make any type of collusion or capture more difficult in the future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0409053.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 24 Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 24
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Governance; Privatization; Regulation; Deregulation; Capture;
Other versions of this item:
- Bel, Germà & Trillas, Francesc, 2005. "Privatization, corporate control and regulatory reform: the case of Telefonica," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-51, February.
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L43 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Legal Monopolies and Regulation or Deregulation
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
- P16 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Political Economy of Capitalism
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-09-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2004-09-30 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-REG-2004-09-30 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robison, H David & Davidson, Wallace N, III & Glascock, John L, 1995. "The Formation of Public Utility Holding Companies and Their Subsequent Diversification Activity," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 199-214, March.
- Jones, Steven L. & Megginson, William L. & Nash, Robert C. & Netter, Jeffry M., 1999. "Share issue privatizations as financial means to political and economic ends," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 217-253, August.
- Bel, Germa, 2003. "Confidence building and politics in privatization: some evidence from Spain," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 9-16, January.
- Trillas, Francesc, 0. "Mergers, acquisitions and control of telecommunications firms in Europe," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(5-6), pages 269-286, June.
- Antony W. Dnes & Jonathan S. Seaton, 1999. "The Regulation of British Telecom: An Event Study," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 155(4), pages 610-, December.
- Koski, Heli A. & Majumdar, Sumit K., 2002. "Paragons of virtue? Competitor entry and the strategies of incumbents in the U.S. local telecommunications industry," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 453-480, December.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 2001. "Competition in Telecommunications," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262621509, December.
- Demsetz, Harold & Lehn, Kenneth, 1985. "The Structure of Corporate Ownership: Causes and Consequences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1155-77, December.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Gilson, Stuart C., 1996. "Perceptions and the politics of finance: Junk bonds and the regulatory seizure of First Capital Life," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 475-511, July.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Trillas, Francesc, 2001. "The takeover of Enersis: the control of privatized utilities," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 25-45, March.
- Noll, Roger G., 1999. "Telecommunications Reform in Developing Countries," Working paper 527, Regulation2point0.
- Besanko, David & D'Souza, Julia & Thiagarajan, S Ramu, 2001. "The Effect of Wholesale Market Deregulation on Shareholder Wealth in the Electric Power Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 65-88, April.
- Joskow, Paul L. & Rose, Nancy L. & Shepard, Andrea., 1993. "Regulatory constraints on executive compensation," Working papers 3550-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Germa Bel, 2002. "Privatization: public offerings and political objectives," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(11), pages 1421-1432.
- Judith Clifton & Francisco Comín & Daniel Díaz-Fuentes, 2011.
"From national monopoly to multinational corporation: How regulation shaped the road towards telecommunications internationalisation,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 53(5), pages 761-781, August.
- Clifton, Judith & Díaz-Fuentes, Daniel & Comín Comín, Francisco, 2011. "From national monopoly to Multinational Corporation: how regulation shaped the road towards telecommunications internationalization," MPRA Paper 33017, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joan Calzada & Anton Costas, 2013. "“La liberalización de las telecomunicaciones en España: control de la inflación y universalización del servicio”," IREA Working Papers 201310, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised May 2013.
- Alberto Chong & Alejandro Riaño, 2006. "Political Environment and Privatization Prices," Research Department Publications 4439, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Loukas Spanos & Demetrios Papoulias, 2005. "Corporate Governance as an instrument of change state owned Corporate Governance as an instrument of change state owned companies: The case of the Hellenic Telecommunications Organization," Finance 0508004, EconWPA.
- Pau Castells & Francesc Trillas, 2008. "Political parties and the economy: Macro convergence, micro partisanship?," Working Papers 2008/1, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Alberto Chong & Alejandro Riaño, 2006. "El entorno político y los precios de las privatizaciones," Research Department Publications 4440, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Pau Castells & Francesc Trillas, 2013. "The effects of surprise political events on quoted firms: the March 2004 election in Spain," SERIEs, Spanish Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 83-112, March.
- Massón-Guerra, José Luis, 2007.
"Evolución de la Eficiencia Productiva de una empresa privatizada: El Caso del Grupo Telefónica de España
[Productive Efficiency in Telefonica]," MPRA Paper 13463, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.