Introducing a scale of market shocks
AbstractTwo 'event' scales for financial markets, called 'scale of market shocks' (SMS), are introduced, which measure the importance of the market movements. These indices are based on the price volatility and are computed by integrating mapped asset volatilities over time horizons that range from 1 hour to 42 days. The first SMS is an absolute scale, or universal scale, allowing values of different assets to be compared directly. The second SMS is an adaptive scale, calibrated to the typical behavior of each asset, allowing the relative importance of market movements to be assessed. In principle, the SMS can be constructed for any market: the indices are computed from the price time series. In the foreign exchange (FX) market, each index is associated with a currency pair and an index per currency and an index for the whole market are derived from it.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0407004.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 06 Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 25
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
foreign exchange; extreme movements; volatility; financial markets; measurement;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G - Financial Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-11 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990.
"Temporal Aggregation Of Garch Processes,"
9066, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1990. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1990-66, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal Aggregation of Garch Processes," Papers 9240, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1992. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1992-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Nijman, T.E., 1993. "Temporal aggregation of GARCH processes," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153273, Tilburg University.
- Muller, Ulrich A. & Dacorogna, Michel M. & Olsen, Richard B. & Pictet, Olivier V. & Schwarz, Matthias & Morgenegg, Claude, 1990. "Statistical study of foreign exchange rates, empirical evidence of a price change scaling law, and intraday analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1189-1208, December.
- Dominique M. Guillaume & Olivier V. Pictet & Michel M. Dacorogna, . "On the intra-daily performance of GARCH processes," Working Papers 1994-07-31, Olsen and Associates.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.