Simulation-based stress testing of banks’ regulatory capital adequacy
AbstractBanks’ holding of reasonable capital buffers in excess of minimum requirements could alleviate the procyclicality problem potentially exacerbated by the rating-sensitive capital charges of Basel II. Determining the required buffer size is an important risk management issue for banks, which the Basle Committee (2002) suggests should be approached via stress testing. We present here a simulation-based approach to stress testing of capital adequacy where rating transitions are conditioned on business-cycle phase and business-cycle dynamics are taken into account. Our approach is an extension of the standard credit portfolio analysis in that we simulate actual bank capital and minimum capital requirements simultaneously. Actual bank capital (absent mark- to-market accounting) is driven by bank income and default losses, whereas capital requirements within the Basel II framework are driven by rating transitions. The joint dynamics of these determine the necessary capital buffers, given bank management’s specified confidence level for capital adequacy. We provide a tentative calibration of this confidence level to data on actual bank capital ratios, which enables a ceteris- paribus extrapolation of bank capital under the current regime to bank capital under Basel II.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0405003.
Date of creation: 03 May 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Basel II; Pillar 2; bank capital; stress tests; procyclicality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2004-05-09 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2004-05-09 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-REG-2004-05-09 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Milne, Alistair & Robertson, Donald, 1996. "Firm behaviour under the threat of liquidation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(8), pages 1427-1449, August.
- Richard Holt, 2004.
"Investment and Dividends under Irreversibility and Financial Constraints,"
ESE Discussion Papers
55, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Holt, Richard W. P., 2003. "Investment and dividends under irreversibility and financial constraints," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 467-502, January.
- Bangia, Anil & Diebold, Francis X. & Kronimus, Andre & Schagen, Christian & Schuermann, Til, 2002.
"Ratings migration and the business cycle, with application to credit portfolio stress testing,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2-3), pages 445-474, March.
- Anil Bangia & Francis X. Diebold & Til Schuermann, 2000. "Ratings Migration and the Business Cycle, With Application to Credit Portfolio Stress Testing," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-26, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios P.Tsomocos, 2003.
"Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord - Banks' choice of loan rating system,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2003fe06, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2002. "Procyclicality and the New Basel Accord: banks' choice of loan rating system," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios Tsomocos, 2005. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord - banks’ choice of loan rating system," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 537-557, October.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios P Tsomocos, 2003. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord - banks' choice of loan rating system," Bank of England working papers 181, Bank of England.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos & Eva Catarineu-Rabell, 2003. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord - Banks` choice of loan rating system," Economics Series Working Papers 2003-FE-06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dimitrios Tsomocos & Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson, 2003. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord–banks’ choice of loan rating system," FMG Discussion Papers dp464, Financial Markets Group.
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto & Plank, Manfred & Strobl, Günter & Zechner, Josef, 2000.
"Bank Capital Regulation with Random Audits,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2597, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Con Keating & Hyun Song Shin & Charles Goodhart & Jon Danielsson, 2001. "An Academic Response to Basel II," FMG Special Papers sp130, Financial Markets Group.
- Jukka Vauhkonen, 2004. "Banks' equity stakes in borrowing firms: A corporate finance approach," Game Theory and Information 0404003, EconWPA.
- David T. Llewellyn & David G. Mayes, 2004.
"The role of market discipline in handling problem banks,"
- Llewellyn, David T. & Mayes , David G., 2003. "The role of market discipline in handling problem banks," Research Discussion Papers 21/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Peter J. Morgan & Mario Lamberte, 2012.
"Strengthening Financial Infrastructure,"
Finance Working Papers
23191, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Guender, Alfred V., 2003.
"Optimal discretionary monetary policy in the open economy: Choosing between CPI and domestic inflation as target variables,"
Research Discussion Papers
12/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Alfred V. Guender, 2004. "Optimal discretionary monetary policy in the open economy: Choosing between CPI and domestic inflation as target variables," Macroeconomics 0404038, EconWPA.
- Jukka Vauhkonen, 2004. "Financial contracts and contingent control rights," Finance 0404022, EconWPA.
- Mayes, David G., 2004. "Who pays for bank insolvency?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 515-551, April.
- Jokivuolle, Esa & Virolainen, Kimmo & Vähämaa, Oskari, 2008. "Macro-model-based stress testing of Basel II capital requirements," Research Discussion Papers 17/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Mark Illing & Graydon Paulin, 2004. "The New Basel Capital Accord and the Cyclical Behaviour of Bank Capital," Working Papers 04-30, Bank of Canada.
- Hege, Ulrich & Feess, Eberhard, 2007. "Basel II and the Value of Bank Differentiation," Les Cahiers de Recherche 879, HEC Paris.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.